Corporal

GWX - Latest Grey Wolves mod release

I just discovered that there is a newer version of the Grey Wolves supermod called GWX (Grey Wolves expansion).

Site (I believe its still a work-in-progress site): http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/GWX/

Download links and instructions are on the site.

Check out the manual here to see what is added by the mod here, as well as installation instructions: http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/GWX/GWX_MANUAL_EN.pdf

New features I have read about introduced in this latest release over the previous Grey Wolves release include:

-A further improved and more realistic damage model
    -Two new late-war sensor antennas for U-boats to acquire
    -Improved crew fatigue model
    -New Campaign items such as new U-boat flotilla operations in the Indian ocean, Black Sea, U-boat bases in Greece and Norway, and augmentation of U-boat flotilla patrols around Britain and the South Atlantic.
    -Scripted campaign enhancements such as "The Mediterranean War", "The Western Front", "Operation Dynamo", "Operation Weserubung", "Operation Neptune", "The North Atlantic convoy raids", "Operation Berlin", "Operation Rheinubung", "Operation Cerberus", "Operation Rosselsprung", "Operation Sizilien", "The campaign against the Tirpitz", "Operation 60,000", "Operations in the Far East", "Task Force 74", "Operation Jaywick and Rimau", "Japanese reconnaissance of Australia" and many more.
    -additions of MANY new ships, aircraft and other objects (look at the manual to see them all)
    -certain types of ships are "illuminated" at night (as in various light sources can be seen on them such as cabin lights, navigation lights etc).
    -Features all the additions contained in the previous Grey Wolves supermod release

Just have a look at the manual. So many additions (more than what my little summary indicates). :shock:

The only bad thing is that this mod requires a clean install of SH3 patched to 1.4b which is unfortunate (but expected due to the sheer complexity of this mod) to people who have current campaigns running (like me).

I guess I will just have to download this mod but will not install it until I finish my current campaign.

Japanese Reconnaisance of Australia
    Wow. DL'ing now, bugger the saved stuff I have...

btw great find Phaze 8)

Shadow
    dl'ing now lol

Pepsi
    Thanks for the Info.

McSporran
    Legend!!

Thanks for the find!!

cheers

McSporran

Corporal
    Here's a nice icon I've created to use with GWX. Hope you guys like it.

Download it here: http://files.filefront.com/GWXico/;6.../fileinfo.html

Registered Users

Total Reinstall of SH3?

hey dudes,
    does this require full re-install of SH3 Grey Wolves or can this be install over the top of the old Grey Wolves Mod???
    Dev :twisted:
    - GC1 (Gallantry Citation) United Squadrons League 2009
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader 242 Sqn RAF, 1940
    Commading Officer - Fighting Roo's Squadron - FR-D
    Ex 3rd ANZAC Regiment - COD4, Ex Devils Brigade - BF2

Corporal

Re: Total Reinstall of SH3?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilman505
    hey dudes,
    does this require full re-install of SH3 Grey Wolves or can this be install over the top of the old Grey Wolves Mod???
    Dev :twisted:
    It requires a clean SH3 installation patched up to 1.4b.

Corporal
    A few screenshots I took while playing with the GWX mod.

Sailboat out for a leisurely trip (2 days before Germany declares war on Britain)

Another sailboat on a pre-dawn trip, hoping to catch the sunrise

A type VIIC Unterseeboat navigating through some treacherous waters

got the game, got the mod, ready to set sail!!!

Corporal
    *looks at Kaz*

Thanks for making it a sticky. :lol:

McSporran
    WOOT!

I love this patch

I'm finally getting the hang of things and managed to sneak my way into a harbour, avoid the defenses then mis-identify a neutral tramp steamer and blew it to hell. Oh well, at least the torpedoes worked this time

I have noticed one thing, I'm playing the very first 1939 campaign and is it just me or is the loading time for torpedoes broken? I have 6 on board, fired three then left the patrol zone and went all the way back to Kiel to dock and they STILL hadn't been reloaded...and I had everyone I could spare in the fore torpedo section.

Had they done their job I'd have have mis-identified and sunk TWO neutral ships

Hey! It was dark!

Corporal
    If you ordered your sub into "silent running", they will not reload torpedoes (guessing because of the noise it would make) until you ordered it back into "normal running".

McSporran
    Quote Originally Posted by Phazon
    If you ordered your sub into "silent running", they will not reload torpedoes (guessing because of the noise it would make) until you ordered it back into "normal running".
    Aha!

That's exactly what I did!!

Thanks mate!

cheers

McSporran

Corporal
    Haha, no probs McSporran. I get caught out making the same mistake sometimes too. :wink:

Raiding ports is great fun. Lots of big juicy stationary targets. Just gotta keep an eye out for any local patrol crafts (usually just fishing trawlers converted for military use) and anti-submarine nets.

McSporran
    Quote Originally Posted by Phazon
    Haha, no probs McSporran. I get caught out making the same mistake sometimes too. :wink:

Raiding ports is great fun. Lots of big juicy stationary targets. Just gotta keep an eye out for any local patrol crafts (usually just fishing trawlers converted for military use) and anti-submarine nets.
    AUGH!!

I have another one for you....

I finished my patrol route and then decided to go attack another port on the way back...I can't remember the name of the town I went to, but it's the one above Aberdeen.

Well, I dodged 2 destroyers and a patrol boat, then I came across an Ammunition Carrier. 7000 tonnage WOOT!!

I angle myself for intercept, surface and crank up to Flank.....she lines up in the attack periscope....I wait to get in nice and close.....2000, 1900, 1800, 1700, 1600...it's starting to fill up the periscope nicely then *POOF!!* the damned thing just disappears right in front of me!!!

I search and search but it's gone. I go back to my last save and the same thing happens....I get to around 1600 and it vanishes....What gives?

cheers

McSporran

Sunk my first merchant!!! Woohoo!

The encounter took place in stormy waters in the North Sea as I was on my way to my patrol area north of Scotland in my little type II u-boat.
    The first indication I had of it's presence was a sound contact from my sonarman.
    I put my boat facing towards her and although surfaced I raised my observation scope to give me a better view over the heavy seas.
    There was nothing for a while, and the sound contact was disappearing, so I gave the order to go to periscope depth.
    Submerged, I was able to pick up the sound contact again... I was getting closer, but the bearing was a little off. Re-adjusting my course to suit, and checking with my sonarman for reports I was able to guage that the contact was moving south across my bow.
    I surfaced again in hunt of my prize. The first sign was black smoke on the horizon. There she was.
    Closing in, I adjusted my heading again so that she would cross me at 90 degrees at about 700 metres.
    I dropped my boat to periscope depth and waited for my prey.

First torp hit, but looked like just external damage to the hull.
    Second hit, and fires started.
    Third hit and she still didnt go down.
    By this time she was angling away from me, so I surfaced and chased the bugger.
    Got an angle on her again and downed her with my fourth.

I love what this expansion has brought to the game. So much better than the original.

McSporran
    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Die
    Sunk my first merchant!!! Woohoo!

The encounter took place in stormy waters in the North Sea as I was on my way to my patrol area north of Scotland in my little type II u-boat.
    The first indication I had of it's presence was a sound contact from my sonarman.
    I put my boat facing towards her and although surfaced I raised my observation scope to give me a better view over the heavy seas.
    There was nothing for a while, and the sound contact was disappearing, so I gave the order to go to periscope depth.
    Submerged, I was able to pick up the sound contact again... I was getting closer, but the bearing was a little off. Re-adjusting my course to suit, and checking with my sonarman for reports I was able to guage that the contact was moving south across my bow.
    I surfaced again in hunt of my prize. The first sign was black smoke on the horizon. There she was.
    Closing in, I adjusted my heading again so that she would cross me at 90 degrees at about 700 metres.
    I dropped my boat to periscope depth and waited for my prey.

First torp hit, but looked like just external damage to the hull.
    Second hit, and fires started.
    Third hit and she still didnt go down.
    By this time she was angling away from me, so I surfaced and chased the bugger.
    Got an angle on her again and downed her with my fourth.

I love what this expansion has brought to the game. So much better than the original.
    Hurrah and well done!!

I sank my first merchant too on the weekend Same thing too, had to put four torps into her before she went down. I have a feeling this may not have been necessary, as after three they are already sinking. There is a delay as the crew tries to pump the water out, but after a while it sinks. I found this out when I only had three torps to use once and then followed my victim, shooting it with the AA gun out of spite and then it slowly sank.

Well done mate!! What type was she? (merchant).

cheers

McSporran

Corporal
    To help sink any ship faster guys, try and tweak the depth setting on your torpedo before you fire it. Aim the torpedo at the middle of the ship and set it so the torpedo has a magnetic detonating pistol and make the depth so it just travels underneath the ship's hull.

The resulting explosion will put a large amount of pressure on the hull and will sometimes cause it to snap completely with one torpedo hit.

Also keep in mind with the deck gun that only hits below the waterline on a ship's hull will help make it sink.

McSporran
    Cool!!

Another good tip! Thanks Phazon.

Hehe :oops: I was actually shooting it with the Anti Aircraft gun. I knew it wasn't damaging it, but I was feeling a little vindictive In my imagination I was perforating the bridge crew.

I'm a bit like that.....

Corporal

Re: GWX - Latest Grey Wolves mod release

After all the hype about this mod I have just gone down and bought SH3 .... ($19.95) ... wahoo .. and am installing now.

DL Grey Wolves as we speak.
    War! that mad game the world so loves to play. ~Jonathan Swift
    [1st Commando Regiment] [Devils Brigade Life Member] [Fighting 'Roos - FR-F] [TF2 - Qué Pasa? ~ Retired] [AEF Battalion (BF4)]

Corporal

There is a new patch for GWX (1.03) thats been out since the 23rd of March. I only just noticed it now. :P

DL it if you want the numerous little bug fixes and additions. You can find it on the site I posted in my original post.

Registered Users

Bump bump!!
    Update to GWX 2 being released on 31JAN08, see link below!!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128097

GWX 2.1 being released 31JAN08
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" - Douglas Bader 242 Sqn RAF, 1940

Yer i downloaded and installed today Weeee time to kill :lol:

I think we're gonna have to do another wolfpack soon

Registered Users

WOLFPACK, WOLF PACK!!

AEF Member

Stupid me threw the disk away thinking that I would never play it again, but talking to Dev, finds out that people still play it :? Downloading now!!!! I love sub sims.

WOLFPACK

"And I ain't never did a crime I ain't have to do" Tupac Amaru Shakur (June 16, 1971 – September 13, 1996)

Quote Originally Posted by shep
    Stupid me threw the disk away thinking that I would never play it again, but talking to Dev, finds out that people still play it :? Downloading now!!!! I love sub sims.

WOLFPACK
    Coolies - I'm crap but I love the game :lol: