Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Private

Re: Any iRacing players?

First win last night racing the Mazdas at Lime Park, felt a little hollow with a SOF at 905 but anywayz, just trying to get the cheap SR in the Rookie series to get advanced to C Class to race the V8's, they look to have the most involvment at our time slot. Didint enjoy the skippy much but has taught me alot about car handling etc.

Quote Originally Posted by icoz
    First win last night racing the Mazdas at Lime Park, felt a little hollow with a SOF at 905 but anywayz, just trying to get the cheap SR in the Rookie series to get advanced to C Class to race the V8's, they look to have the most involvment at our time slot. Didint enjoy the skippy much but has taught me alot about car handling etc.
    Congrats on the win
    Yeah the skips great to learn car handling on and it's popular enough to get an offical race any time of the week

AEF Member

Congrats icoz First win is always good, regardless of SoF.

I've sponsored a team in the V8's with my business too. Post below

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts ... 53587.page

Hey guys,

Happy to announce yet another team launch here!

My company will be sponsoring Richard Lock and Colin Boyd in the V8 Supercar series. It's very exciting to be able to support the iRacing community and for the chance to help out both Richard and Colin, and the amount of new teams appearing is great! Will make the top split field very impressive to watch!

Thanks to Border I.T. Solutions and The Paint Booth for the liveries. As a gift to the iRacing community, if anyone in the Northern NSW and Gold Coast areas are in need of anything I.T. related, just mention iRacing for a reduced labour rate.

http://www.borderitsolutions.com.au

http://www.thepaintbooth.com/

=Proud Member of the 1st LAV Battalion=
    AEF EVE
    AEF Racing

Congrats Icoz

Good work on that Mez.

I'd love to get into it, but just haven't got the time.

Private

Cheers fellas, awesome work Mez, just got me C Class license mate so im in process of buying V8's and the track, may wait till Tuesday and have the track for a week and race Sunday Monday, looking foward to hooking right into the supercars.

Private

Mez i got Suzuka so ill be sweet for next week. Reckon its worth getting Silverstone? Couple questions if you guys dont mind.

1. Is the Silverado a ok series to run?

2. Can u use custom skins etc AND if so how?

3. Im not to concerned about iRating as i dont really understand what it is, can u help me with that?

4. Whats the best plan to do, prac all week then race only couple races or jump into as many races as you can?

5. Mez mind if i hit you up for some setups etc, as I have only raced fixed and not at all got into the setup side of things?

Cheers dudes.

AEF Member

Mez i got Suzuka so ill be sweet for next week. Reckon its worth getting Silverstone? Couple questions if you guys dont mind.
    Hey Icoz, congrats on getting your C class! Didn't take you too long I'm not sure if I would bother with Silverstone at this stage, so I'd say no, not yet.

I can't answer this one as I don't race ovals, Matt might have a better idea.

2. Can u use custom skins etc AND if so how?
    Yes, however this is not really supported by iRacing, but if you go to TradingPaints.com and sign up you can download an application that will download all the custom paints for specific cars and such.

There is also an Aussie only version that I use as well as TradingPaints called SkinSync, available here http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts ... 17614.page

For creating skins, check out the Paint Forum for walkthroughs and templates etc.

3. Im not to concerned about iRating as i dont really understand what it is, can u help me with that?
    Basically iRating is a 'skill' rating based on your driving performance. It works like a match making score to put you in races with evenly matched players. This also determines what 'split' you end up in (different splits have a different SoF) this number is also how they calculate the SoF. So for instance, at Phillip Island last monday there were 4 splits, the top split having a MASSIVE SoF of 4196. Then it was 2706, 1892 and 1199.

So it is entirely possible you are the fastest driver out of everyone, but you have a low iRating so you wind up in the bottom split and easily dominate the field. Then you will gain a lot of points and gradually move up the splits. Keep in mind all Road races have an effect on your iRating, oval however is separated.

4. Whats the best plan to do, prac all week then race only couple races or jump into as many races as you can?
    The V8 series has its main races on Monday nights at 7:45 and 9:45 (East coast Daylight Saving time). The 9:45 is the main race that gets all the attention. Since iRacing calculates your points on your top two races, most people don't race at any other time to maximise their points. This isnt to say don't race at other times, I would but its mostly empty and you can't get a race since I'm not that fussed about points.

We usually practise as much as we can during the week and run qualifiers to get a good time. Then Monday night the big races come and it is a blast! Very clean racing throughout and 95% Australians. Usually get about 70-80 entries for the later race.

5. Mez mind if i hit you up for some setups etc, as I have only raced fixed and not at all got into the setup side of things?

Cheers dudes.
    No problem, jump in practise if you see me online (or jump on the AEF Sim Teamspeak) and I can get you some sets from the top drivers.

Congrats again on getting your C class! Suzuka should be epic.

AEF EVE
    AEF Racing

Great fun series and pretty easy to find an official race.
    The community is pretty good with providing setups.
    A lot of people bag oval racing but because of pit stops and cautions there is a lot of strategy going on which makes it fun

What I love about oval racing is how close it is...white knuckle racing.
    The lower splits can be a bit problematic due to all the cautions but mid and high split races are usually pretty good with only 2-4 cautions a race

I'm not to concerned about iRating as i dont really understand what it is, can u help me with that?
    For me iRating is MORE important then your SR
    Provided you race cleanly your safety rating will deal with it self
    BUT to find clean races away form the noobs, kids and generally inexperienced or less talented drivers that are more likely to wreck you, you need to get into the mid to high splits.
    I found that once you get your iRating up to around 2000+ you start to get into the mid splits and the racing is much cleaner.

To keep it very simple...your iRating will gain points if your are in the top half of the field at the end of the race.
    By how much you gain is dependent on the strength of the drivers (how high their iRating is) that you beat.

When I'm focusing on building my iRating I will be more content with a top 5 finish then trying to push too hard for a 1st place because if you push and wreck you could end up last and loose a bucket load of iRating points

But really at the end of the day don't get hung up on SR and iRating..just go out there and have fun and race clean.
    Once you have raced for a few months your iRating gain will start to flatten as it is designed to put you in a competitive field where you won't feel out of your depth or fell like you are beating the pants off everyone. You will always feel like you have a competitive chance.
    It's a great system that generally works well

Private

Well first V8 race last night and how much bloody fun was it!!!!!!!!

First race started from 13th and ended up dicing with Mez the last 3 laps for 9th, tires went really bad those last 3 laps so was happy to finish first official race in 10th.

2nd race was a bit more keen to nudge the #11 round Suzuka a bit more, started from 14th and quickly found out why the bottom split is the bottom split, got dive bombed 3 times on the first 3 corners but each dive bomb quickly found the grass on exit so kept position. Ran the car pretty hot for the first 10 laps and made my way to 8th. After lap 11 my tires just ran outa grip and had to be content with 8th(extremely happy).

Overall a great experience and thanks to Mez and Stoner for all the practice and setups put in through the week. Bring on Brands Hatch!!!!

nice icoz

I wish I could have joined you but I was just flat out with school stuff that had to be done for today grrr
    I'd even got down into the 2:07's but after doing a fuel run on saturday night I could tell that my tires were gone by the time I'd done 15 laps...heck I thought I was been good to them as well lol

Private

Class C on the ovals Stoner, time for the Trucks mate if you up for it??

First V8 Race and I come first
    The SOF was only 1500 but hey a wins a win LOL

Started 2nd...dropped back to 6th after a spin into the gravel and then had to work my way back up.
    I was 3rd sitting about a 1 second behind some dude for about 10 laps whilst we were running down the 1st placed driver who never pitted.
    We caught him on lap 31 and then the fun began. I could see an incident was unfolding as both guys were getting quite tail snappy out of the turns so I bide my time and then they sent eachother into a spin. Whilst trying to get through the wreck one of them just tapped my rear quarter panel and sent me into a spin, after a few choice words my car stopped spinning and was pointing in the right direction, on the road, and in front of the other two, so I put my foot down, took the lead and never gave it back :mrgreen:

Great fun 8)

Good work Matt.

Corporal

Decided to whip out the G27 for some racing today and finally broke down and decided to try out iRacing to see what all the fuss is about. All I can say is I like it and its setup very professionally. Currently doing the Mazda MX-5 rookie cup and getting my rating up while learning the ropes.

You'll love the competition mate.
    The rookie class can be a bit frustrating but once you get through to your C-class licence the quality of racing really lifts.

Just focus on having clean races and staying on the track so you can build up your safety rating

Corporal

Oh I'm perfectly fine with starting off in the rookie class, as I'm far from pro. :P

I'm picking it up quickly though, I race with the H-pattern and clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Phazon
    Oh I'm perfectly fine with starting off in the rookie class, as I'm far from pro.
    I'm picking it up quickly though, I race with the H-pattern and clutch.
    trust me when i say we are far from pro as well :lol:
    But that's the best part about the whole iRating thing (as opposed to Safety Rating SR), once you've done a few races your iRating (which you can't see as a rooke but it's there in the background) will place you in a split (field of drivers) that is indicative of your driving ability. That way you shouldn't feel too out of your depth or you won't be finding it too easy to win either.

I used to do the whole H pattern clutch thing but then realized it was costing me about a second a lap.
    But what pissed me off the most was when you slammed it into 3rd but miss the gear due to miss timed clutched or revs but yet the gear stick lever was in 3rd even tho the car was still in second. I could never get past that and it took the whole realism thing further away so I decided to use sequential shifting, most vehicles have sequential gearboxes anyway.

But I'm glad your having fun

AEF Member

Awesome another AEF member in iRacing

What's your name so we can add you as a friend?

Congrats on the V8 win Matt now we just need you in the Monday night races competition is immense!

AEF EVE
    AEF Racing

Private

Woohoo how cool a track is Virginia, the V8's are meant for this place. Cracked a 1.52.9 and felt pretty chuffed then seen McCleod do a 1.48 lol. Ah well hope to see a few on during the week. Maybe we need to start using Vent r sumthing to help each other out and maybe at the same time generate some interest within the AEF.

AEF Member

Well whenever I'm on I'm trying to get into the Sim TS3 and the iRacing channel on the main TS3.

AEF EVE
    AEF Racing

AEF Member

202.62.137.195:9990

There is a dedicated channel for you guys

Woohoo how cool a track is Virginia, the V8's are meant for this place. Cracked a 1.52.9 and felt pretty chuffed then seen McCleod do a 1.48 lol. Ah well hope to see a few on during the week. Maybe we need to start using Vent r sumthing to help each other out and maybe at the same time generate some interest within the AEF.
    I cracked a 1:53.3 last night, I got a opt time of 1:51.5 so I'm not very consistent yet
    Fun track but darn those lines are hard to find

Any body good at paints?
    we should get some AEF / Platform Networks skins done

Reserve Officer
    me to for last 5 months and it's a great experience, worth every cent. And for V8 enthusiasts there is Mount Panorama coming soon

Regards

AEF Member
    Wanna link your profile SUN so we can add you as a friend? Jump on TS sometime

AEF EVE
    AEF Racing

Angel
    How do I get out of the rookie oval class? I'm finding it really hard to get my safety rating up as its sometimes like a demolition derby with lapped cars not giving you room and ramming you off the road.

AEF Member
    Sit at the back, start from the pits. Don't join a race then leave.

Remember safety rating is calculated on CPI (Corners per incident), so if you do one race, someone rams you on lap 1 and you leave, you get punished really really hard as thats 4 incident for 2 corners.

The more clean laps you do the better. Stick it out.

AEF EVE
    AEF Racing

Last edited by Matt; 23-01-2015 at 12:38 AM.