Corporal

(Null Sec) 0.0 living info you need to know

copied from the tnt forums

Volume 1: EVE Mail, CSPA Charges, and You

Open EVE MAIL.
    Upper lefter corner is a sideways white triangle.
    Right-click this Triangle and go to Settings.
    The top box has 2 options and a number in a smaller box.
    The number in the smaller box should be zero (0).

You're now on your way to getting more questions answered as people can now start private conversations without being cock-blocked by a message box asking them to spend isk to do it.

Cybernetics - This is another important skill. Getting it to level 1 will allow you to use +3 implants. You need level 4 to use +4 implants, but there are other useful implants for just about any aspect of the game which you might find useful.

Volume 3: I'm in 0.0 and I have 1.5 Million Skill Points. What Do I Do Now?

When I started EVE a little over a year ago, I did so with 2 characters. I did this so that I could explore both the inustrial and the combat sides of EVE at the same time. Here I will offer up a little bit of direction for people who might not have a lot of skill points under their belts just yet.

You've got some time invested in your Learning skills and now you're ready to find a nich.

The Industrial Path - I Kill Rocks with Lasers!
    By Industrial Path I pretty much mean mining. The only Gas Cloud mining I've seen around Deklein has been inside Worm Holes, and that's more than a little out of reach for most people who just finished their learning skills. When it comes to mining, you'll pretty much be aiming to fly a Covetor and then a Hulk. But getting into them can take a couple weeks to a couple months. Until then, train your faction's inudstrial ship to level 4 and see about getting the best industrial you can fly rigged for cargo space so you can help other miners haul minerals to the station. The Medium Cargohold Optimization rig will require you to get Astronautics Rigging to level 1. In order to use Expanded Cargohold II in your low slots, you will need Hull Upgrades to level 2. Even if you don't want to haul for another miner, having these sort of setup is important for your own mining ventures as well. Just about any mining you do outside of the Mining Barges or Exhumers isn't that effient and would probably be better spent doing something else. Mostly you'll be using Strip Miner until you get all your reprocessing skills up that will allow you to use the crystals with the Modulated Strip Miner.

Remember that just because you can use a module, doesn't mean you can use the crystal. Kinda like just because you can fly a ship, doesn't mean you can fit it to fly straight.

Salvaging and Looting Other's Wrecks - Scavanging
    Before you start looting and salvaging wrecks in the belts or anomolies, be sure to ask either in local or alliance. More often than not, even if the person who "owns" the wrecks doesn't respond to you, someone else will. A standard setup for salvaging uses a Destroyer with 2-3 Small Tractor Beam and 3-5 salvager modules in the high slots, cargo expanders in the low slots, and either an afterburner or a MWD in the medium along with as many cap rechargers or cap batteries as you can fit in the remaining medium slots. You may also want to invest in a small salvage tackle or two to speed things up.

Unfortunately, the salvage from Gurista rats isn't the greatest. That being said, you will probably make more isk from the loot. The general rule for loot is: Meta 3 or Meta 4 = keep or sell on the market. Meta 2 or lower = reprocess for minerals. Ask a corp or alliance member to refine for you if you have poor refining skills for slightly higher yields. Be aware, though, that Meta 3 and Meta 4 items are a lot more common since the last expansion. This makes them worth less, but also less expensive to lose if you're fitting a ship for PVP.

Basically, if you're looking to PVP but also want something to do while you train PVP skills (not to mention a way of making a little isk so you can afford to lose some ships) the Salvage/Loot path is for you. As you get your skills up and are able to fly Battlecruisers and Battleships with proper fittings, you can graduate to ratting and running anomolies which will allow you to afford larger/better ships.

ALWAYS INSURE YOUR SHIPS!

Volume 4: Standing? But I'm in a Spaceship!

Links to Overview Setup at bottom.

TNT, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the NC, runs by a pretty standard 0.0 policy of NBSI (Not Blue, Shoot It). This means you shoot anything that it not blue except in special situations where people may tell you not to engage neutrals. Standing icons are found either to the right of the player's name in a chat channel's member list, or can be found by opening a character's info sheet and looking in the lower right corner of their portrait box. I'm not going to cover all the standings icons, but here's a few important ones:

No Icon - Neutral, we have no standings.
    Blue Star - A member of your alliance, but not your corp.
    Green Star - A member of your corp.
    Any shade of Blue (light to dark) with a "+" sign - Someone of good standings, an ally.
    Any shade of red or orange with a "-" sign - someone of poor standings, at war with them, hostiles, ect.
    Purple/Lavender coloring - This indicates someone who is currently in your fleet.

Sometimes you will see yellow or even red shaded people who are in your corporation or alliance. This will only happen when you're out of station and in the same pocket of space as that person, they will not appear this way in the local or any other chat channels. This indicates that they have a negitive security rating which means that they probably kill a lot of people (especially pods) and probably help make our home safe.

When traveling around you may also see people whose icon looks something like a skull - This indicates someone who has recently engaged in pirate-like activity. I think this only applies to low/high sec space.

Standings can also dictate what you allow others to do and not do. For instance, Goonswarm is not able to dock at the K5F station because their standings is set lower than the minimum required to dock at our station.

Standings can also determine:
    How much the owner of a station gets from reprocessed material.
    How many and which types of industrial slots are available to you.
    Repair costs.
    Not to mention access to all the station services: Medical, repair, reprocessing, fitting, industrial, and insurence.

If I'm remembering correctly, the only station service which cannot be blocked by standings is the market.

Also, this was linked by Lorcaine in Alliance chat while I was on.
    Overview Setup:
    http://www.massively.com/2008/08/17/eve ... ew-part-1/
    http://www.massively.com/2008/08/25/eve ... ew-part-2/
    1st Commando Regiment - Life Member
    AEF Member Since Dec, 2006

Re: (Null Sec) 0.0 living info you need to know

Is this still relevant? In particular the skills area.

AEF Member

EDIT: goddamnit, got lured into necro-ing!

My suggestion is that if a person doesn't know to turn off CSPA charges they're in for a world of hurt in 0.0! I think what hurts most new players in EVE is not having goals. If you don't know what you want to do you'll ragequit the game. I found that the best way to get over this was join various corps to learn new things (pirating, 0.0 alliance battles, missioning, mining). I was even in a corp that got infiltrated by a Goon-FC who wanted to see what carebearing was like!

And yeah, there are no more learning skills (I just resubbed, have over a million SP from learning to reassign).

My personal advice is to buy as many of your racial-frigates you can afford and enough T1 mods to fit the lot. Then, go roaming through low-sec for a month or more... you might lose every last frigate you bought, but you'll learn a lot about what does and doesn't work.

Corporal

yeah the info is still good, we also have a chat room, AEF PUBLIC join us in chat and we can help with any questions you have

Quote Originally Posted by Travo
    Volume 2: Learning Skills and Why They Matter

These are the basic learning skills. They increase the speed that you train all your skills, including the learning skills. That is why they matter. By spending a couple weeks getting these skills up, you can essentially double your base attribute points which, in turn, will make training skills much faster.

Learning - The most important, gives a bonus to all learning skills.
    Instant Recall - Memory
    Iron Will - Will Power
    Spatial Awareness - Perception
    Analytical Mind - Intellegence
    Empathy - Gives charisma. Generally accepted as the least important stat.

After you get a basic learning skill to level 4, you can inject and train the advanced learning skills

Clarity - Perception
    Eidetic Memory - Memory
    Focus - Will Power
    Logic - Intellegence
    Presence - Charisma
    I couldn't find any of these skills in the market. Am I looking in the wrong place?

AEF Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMellie
    And yeah, there are no more learning skills (I just resubbed, have over a million SP from learning to reassign).
    As I said...

As I said...
    Oh I missed that. Thanks.

Should I just power on to whatever then? Got a Rifter and trying to get to tier 2 autocannons.

AEF Member

Personally I'd reinvest your learning SP into basics like Mechanical, Engineering or Navigation. Better that you have enough power and CPU to fit guns when you're ready for them than be able to fit only half your ship.

Yeah, as DarkMellie said, go for your core skills first, use the Core Certificates as a guide on what you need. These skills are applied across every ship you fly, and can make a huge difference in how long your ship lasts under fire.

AEF ADMIN | AEF VANGUARD (EVE) | BATTALION (BF4) | 2IC - AEF OPERATIONS Formerly - DB (BF2/BF2142 (2IC/CO)/ET:QW/COD4/BF:BC2/BF3/PS2) | TCM (2IC/CO) | CW (2IC/CO) | GB (COH) | 2CAV (ARMA 2/3) | 1CR (BF2 (2IC)) | Flying Roos (IL2)

Corporal

bump

also for the new guys have a read i noticed in alliance chat some guys had CSPA charges

Volume 1: EVE Mail, CSPA Charges, and You

Open EVE MAIL.
    Upper lefter corner is a sideways white triangle.
    Right-click this Triangle and go to Settings.
    The top box has 2 options and a number in a smaller box.
    The number in the smaller box should be zero (0).

You're now on your way to getting more questions answered as people can now start private conversations without being cock-blocked by a message box asking them to spend isk to do it.