Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AEF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah View Post
    Funny...I used to get so nervous when chatting to ATC (but these guys were always excellent and helpful).
    Lol, same and still do, and yes they are, like big brother watching your every move. I cut the corner of a taxiway once, the controller asked me who was going to pay for the damage to the turf lol. I've been bailed up and been repremanded many times for getting lost on taxiways and deviating of course on-route. Controllers take their jobs very seriously and add a whole new dimension to the immersion. If I want to fly a route where controllers are not available I use VoxAtc offline, just as challenging. It's surprising how challenging navigation can be when your not free to roam wherever and whatever flight level you wish. It's an immersion I find hard to be without, within a flight simulation :-) it's really sad the sim community is so small, and tend to support only one platform, I guess it's mainly due to personnel time restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by RotorWash View Post
    Yep, clearly delusional lol :-

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMZo6...e_gdata_player
    You leave my sanity out of this, my therapist said I was doing better since "The incident"

I have been on the fence about Prepar3d I am hearing lockheed just bought the rights to FSX and did a bit of tweaking with it, also the store has me worried, apparently the professional version and the academic version are the "same except for a logo" but one costs nearly twice as the other.

I think I might wait for the price to drop or a more in depth explanation of the costs before jumping. I wish they had a trial version.

AEF Member
    Lol

P3D is under license from Microsoft as a non entertainment product. There is little difference between the Academic and pro version. In brief, the pro version is for commercial customers and the academic is for trainee pilots. Unless you intend to charge (would be pilots) for your services, the acedemic version is the go for you. I own the acedemic version, but do not have it installed, as I have a very reliable fsx install, and do not want, as yet, to migrate from something that is not broken. However, It's only a matter of time before I make the move. If you do not own FSX or any of it's addons, I would recommend P3d, without a doubt. Lots of great advancements being made in flightsim at the moment, the future looks much much brighter.

I believe P3D offer a 30 day money back deal ?

I did one of these just prior to Xmas, it was Woefull :-(. I won't go into all the details, most of the hardware was inoperable. Hope you had a better experience ?
    https://www.jetflightsimulator.com.au/
    Yes, the experience was excellent. Did a touch and go at Heathrow with a landing at the City airport. Then I did a night touch and go at Hong Kong International with a landing at the old city airport. All worked well and it felt very smooth. The guys at the Singapore Flight experience were very good. Worth having a go just to experience the full cockpit.

Lol

P3D is under license from Microsoft as a non entertainment product. There is little difference between the Academic and pro version. In brief, the pro version is for commercial customers and the academic is for trainee pilots. Unless you intend to charge (would be pilots) for your services, the acedemic version is the go for you. I own the acedemic version, but do not have it installed, as I have a very reliable fsx install, and do not want, as yet, to migrate from something that is not broken. However, It's only a matter of time before I make the move. If you do not own FSX or any of it's addons, I would recommend P3d, without a doubt. Lots of great advancements being made in flightsim at the moment, the future looks much much brighter.

Agree with Rotorwash. Surely there must be a course/study class at work or in the evening that you may be planning to do in the future? I'm using the academic version 2.4. Lockheed Martin has just released v2.5 and the add on companies such as Orbx, ASN, A2A have to catch up, so until they are up to speed, I am waiting to jump to v2.5.

AEF Member
    Perhaps, one day, there may be enough of us to form a P3D SQN, and go fly more familiar topography. Not realistic, but I like to plan my fuel so I get low fuel warning on approach and touch down prior to killing myself, and all my passengers lol (not on Avsim).
    ;-)
    Last edited by RotorWash; 10-03-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Lol

I believe P3D offer a 30 day money back deal ?
    Thanks, i'll look into getting it in the future, saving my money right now for a new Hotas my X52 is on it's last legs.

AEF Member
    I was going to jump on the P3D bandwagon but the thought of paying for upgrades didn't appeal to me (thats what I understand you do with P3D ie v1, v2, etc). Plus with all the other games out I just didn't bother. FSX with all the bells and whistles (incl weather, etc) looks really really good.
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body" - old Army saying

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah View Post
    I was going to jump on the P3D bandwagon but the thought of paying for upgrades didn't appeal to me (thats what I understand you do with P3D ie v1, v2, etc). Plus with all the other games out I just didn't bother. FSX with all the bells and whistles (incl weather, etc) looks really really good.
    Not sure what will happen when they go to v3 as I've only been using v2. These add on companies may give you the code for life, and update to each version. There is talk and hope that LM will go to 64bit one day and the sim will then use more Ram. This may mean the add on companies have to do a bit of work to bring their product up to date. I for one will decide then, but don't mind paying something to these small companies who need to survive to give us what we want.

AEF Member
    If it does go 64bit I will definitely look at this again but as I said, I don't particularly want to be 'farmed' for cash for upgrades, unless its a major upgrade.

I used to do fly ins with VATPAC - quite a lot of fun when there's 40 of you all jockeying for position to take off in piston a/c from a small strip like Cooktown. Its always a cool feeling when you have ATC directing you with 40 others in the circuit! lol.
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body" - old Army saying

AEF Member
    For Matt, or any other P3D users. Check out this thread posted on Avsim today:-

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/464695-optimize-parts1/

For Matt, or any other P3D users. Check out this thread posted on Avsim today:-

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/464695-optimize-parts1/
    Nice find. I'm busy this weekend, but will have a look during the week. Thanks Rotorwash.

Changed the setting, but not sure if it has improved or not. Could be a placebo effect or just my GPU. I'm using a GTX680 and the graphics were very good before the change, so I havn't noticed much difference. May improve when I change my GPU.

I reading mixed reports on the forums about it so it may be down to the different computers, and may only benefit the more recent GPUs.

I'm also using DSR in P3D, and that gives me great results already.

PMDG have done a good job with that 737 by the way.

AEF Member
    Reinstalled P3D, on v 2.5, gained an extra 6 fps in the NGX with the tweek, got 35-40 fps at my local airport (YBTL). It'll be interesting to see what the results will be like at Orbx YBCS and YMML ;-). Everything i need managed to install, via installers, except for FS2Crew. Did not notice too much improvement with A2A products, but hey, get 50-60 fps anyway. Time to play with FSUIPC, and get them controllers set up. Which client do you use for Vatsim ?

Running P3D v3 with all available Orbx addons (v3) and FS pilots global 2010 (mesh). Active sky next is awesome. I am looking at the FS Global weather when it becomes available for v3. Might also grab P3D v2.5 so I can run Tacpack.

AEF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleshpiston View Post
    Running P3D v3 with all available Orbx addons (v3) and FS pilots global 2010 (mesh). Active sky next is awesome. I am looking at the FS Global weather when it becomes available for v3. Might also grab P3D v2.5 so I can run Tacpack.
    Hey Flesh, defecting to the dark side eh ! I'm awaiting for my official addon installers to be released prior to moving to V3. Not too sure what FS Global Weather can improve over ASN ? Which aircraft are you flying ?

I'm still happy with v2.5.

ASN is pretty good for a live weather system.