Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AEF Member

For The Aviation Enthusiasts

An example of the advancement in battery and brushless motor tech.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/electri...130004635.html

AEF Member
    Cool.

Deck it out with a twin tail, paint it grey with teeth on the front and it would be badass.

AEF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiza View Post
    Cool.

Deck it out with a twin tail, paint it grey with teeth on the front and it would be badass.
    My thoughts to Kai :-)

I'm curious to know why the designers went with a gull-wing design for this aircraft. I would have thought it would have added more weight versus benefit gained over using a straight wing with a little dihedral. I suspect it's got to do with airflow into the engine.

They could also go for higher aspect ratio wings for greater L/D and wing loading, but then it'd simply be a powered glider, I suppose. Not very space-friendly around busy local aerodromes.

Nice video though.. thanks for sharing it

TassieDevil

How much does it cost.... That's the question.
    "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering" ~ The Shoveller

AEF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R3dfish View Post
    How much does it cost.... That's the question.
    Havn't time to revisit at the moment, only $40k I believe ( price of a standard car)

AEF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TassieDevil View Post
    I'm curious to know why the designers went with a gull-wing design for this aircraft. I would have thought it would have added more weight versus benefit gained over using a straight wing with a little dihedral. I suspect it's got to do with airflow into the engine.

They could also go for higher aspect ratio wings for greater L/D and wing loading, but then it'd simply be a powered glider, I suppose. Not very space-friendly around busy local aerodromes.

Nice video though.. thanks for sharing it

TassieDevil
    I guess wind tunnel and r/c model testing directed them in design. Just wondering why they chose lithium ion over lithium polymer batteries ?

AEF Member
    I suspect you are right. The A-10 has the same feature, probably for the same reason. At high angles of attack the airflow can cause compressor stall. To combat this they also installed leading edge slats that re-direct the airflow at high AoA.

AEF Member
    [QUOTE=TassieDevil;381782]I'm curious to know why the designers went with a gull-wing design for this aircraft. I would have thought it would have added more weight versus benefit gained over using a straight wing with a little dihedral. I suspect it's got to do with airflow into the enginTassieDevil[/QUOTE

The batteries are stored in the wings, like the fuel would be conventionally . However, the battery weight would never change, unlike the fuel weight. This would mean that the wings would be under a constant weight. To prevent deflection, I would suggest that wing design is more a structural than aerodynamic. A strait wing (dihedral or not) would not support the weight or prevent serious deflection as well as the gull-wing. Keep in mind, that these are composit wings, not steel. Composite's have better structural integrity in the curved profiles vs straight profiles. I think :-)

AEF Member
    I suspect you are right. The A-10 has the same feature, probably for the same reason. At high angles of attack the airflow can cause compressor stall. To combat this they also installed leading edge slats that re-direct the airflow at high AoA.
    Ducted fans are quite different to gas turbine, despite looking similar.

AEF Member
    Beutifull Planes, Beutifull Women

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVAEb...e_gdata_player

AEF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RotorWash View Post
    Ducted fans are quite different to gas turbine, despite looking similar.
    Indeed, but they both can have problems at high AoA/disrupted airflow (certainly as far as I am aware).

I wonder how the fan speed compares to a conventional aircraft since I guess it is mechanically driven.
    I doubt its direct drive for reliability/life of the engine.

"161 SQN flys the AEF flag the highest"

AEF Member
    Indeed, but they both can have problems at high AoA/disrupted airflow (certainly as far as I am aware).
    Certainly, all can suffer from disrupted airflow. Though, I think the wing design is more structural than aerodynamic, as the landing weight remains the same as takeoff weight, which is unconventional.
    Last edited by RotorWash; 15-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.

AEF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
    I wonder how the fan speed compares to a conventional aircraft since I guess it is mechanically driven.
    I doubt its direct drive for reliability/life of the engine.
    Brushless motors have exceptional rpm in comparison. It is most certainly direct drive, the motors are attached directly to the fan and governed by an electronic speed controller.
    Last edited by RotorWash; 15-05-2014 at 01:07 PM.

AEF Member

AEF Member
    If only this much online activity:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKV8o...e_gdata_player

AEF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnR View Post
    Phew, don't think that was put on for the crowd, that pilot is in trouble me thinks, he's badly misjudged his approach. Don't think a pilot would be so irresponsible to pass so close on purpose. I would say that they are all very lucky indeed.

AEF Member

AEF Member
    Aerobatic Dreamliner, 2014 Farnbourough Airshow:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZRKm...e_gdata_player

AEF Member

Love the caption for the photo...

It is not clear why the plane had no wings
    Of course it is! It wouldn't fit in a parking spot, and he may have been charged with a parking offence if he'd left them on.

TassieDevil

AEF Member
    Time to trade in the Cruiser :-

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzYb6...e_gdata_player

Smooth weather flyer. Probably has a massive pivot bearing pushing those wings out. Nice find
    "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering" ~ The Shoveller

Quote Originally Posted by RotorWash View Post
    Time to trade in the Cruiser :-
    Ever notice these videos often don't depict an audio-visual recording of the craft, instead resorting to video only ? Noise level has been and remains a real challenge for these radically innovative projects, most notably to their marketing. I'm guessing the noise this thing creates doesn't fit with the image they want to portray with emotive music.

TassieDevil

AEF Member
    Ever notice these videos often don't depict an audio-visual recording of the craft, instead resorting to video only ? Noise level has been and remains a real challenge for these radically innovative projects, most notably to their marketing. I'm guessing the noise this thing creates doesn't fit with the image they want to portray with emotive music.

TassieDevil
    When they get better at making batteries, and they are, I would say that any production models would be an electic/gas hybrid with a ducted fan. Then it will sound right

Here's a cool addition to anyones garage....

Check out the "ICON A5"...... over at >> http://www.iconaircraft.com/index.html

Features...

Land/Takeoff, water or land
    Folding Wings
    Headlights and Floodlights
    Sea Wings Platforms
    Car Trailer (Optional)
    Low Stall Speed
    Spin Resistance
    Airframe Parachute
    Instruments, Radios, MP3 Player... etc, etc, etc.

This sports aircraft is already in increasing production for aprx USD189k.

Only thing is.. If you put a deposit on one now, expect an aprx 3yr wait for delivery, as they're in such a high demand.

PS: Dunno if technology like those "Airbus Electric Fans" on it would be up to the job just yet for this type of application.. but hey, it's an idea, yeah?

EDIT:
    Found more clips on it's >>
    Pre-Prod "Walkaround" and it's "Spin Resistance" explained. (2011-2013, but still interesting)
    Last edited by Skid; 16-01-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: edit

::_ WEBSITE of the MONTH : _ WWW.DUDEIWANTTHAT.COM_ ::

AEF Member
    I'll take two.

Looks great, would be happy to have one of those.

"161 SQN flys the AEF flag the highest"