Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Model kits (plastic)

Any keen modellers amongst us here?

Used to be, when I was younger. Still have many of my models, but they're in storage, not on display unfortunately. Not enough room.

Closest I've been recently was painting and basing some figures for tabletop wargaming.. an army for De Bellis Antiquitatus. Haven't played it for some years now, though.

TassieDevil
    Last edited by TassieDevil; 04-09-2015 at 07:46 PM.

AEF Member
    Used to be in my early years. Am thinking of picking it up again and hopefully building them to a much higher standard than I did as a kid .

What were you after?

Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post

What were you after?

I just thought as most here a very keen aviation enthusiasts that some would been into the hobby.

Same as you I'm keen to see what I can do now, with more patience and time (kind of).

First project I was thinking of was the A10 of course. Or maybe finish one of the many unfinished kits I have packed away

AEF Member
    Ah sweet. Yeah I have a list of aircraft I would like to pick up models of and the A-10 is one ofcourse. I am looking at 1/48 scale, not too big, but big enough for the detail. I would love to get an airbrush also and try that out. Post up if you do pick one up and maybe we can start it together and share some tips.

Heres what Im looking at https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...l-Kit/22463926
    Last edited by Klown; 06-09-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Ahh yep, same as it appears to be the only one you can form into a true A10C with some help from aftermarket parts.

I found this link and this link a handy reference when searching.

Great links there, Deceter. I figured you guys would be sticklers for fine detail, and that review site is a beaut reference for anyone looking for a particular kit! I was going to suggest that Klown look at some reviews before he forks out the moolah on the Italeri kit (that seems more expensive than I would have expected for that size model, but maybe I'm very out-of-touch with what the prices should be like these days ? I dunno..).

I'm just getting back into RC flying of late, so a different kettle of fish altogether, really.. Wouldn't mind eventually getting a body kit for my TRex 450L Dominator.. for a Hughes MD500, or something like that...

TassieDevil

AEF Member
    Nice links.

Yeah cheers for the advice on reading reviews, would not have thought of doing that actually, but ofcourse, if something exists, someone has reviewed it.

Review on Italeri kit pros/cons
    Pros Still the nicest A-10 in 1/48 scale Cons Not an A-10C
    Basically the cockpit isnt updated with two MFCDS (still A-10A cockpit) and there is no litening pod or JDAMs. Still the best A-10 of that scale apparently, and maybe one day they will release a seperate update kit.

Or just make your own decals to match latest cockpit.

Can also get some aftermarket parts like this and make them fit http://www.wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/48078.html or http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10122326 (examples to show they are out there, I have not researched if they are available to OZ/NZ). Your local model store should be able to assist.

As for the price, yeah that is one reason I havnt run out and bought it, might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere, or wait for a sale. Most mighty ape 1/48 scale sell for $40-50. So although the price is a bit more than the average, it isnt beyond reason. Might have to go with 1/78 scale to save on costs.
    Last edited by Klown; 06-09-2015 at 08:15 PM.

AEF Member
    Just a heads up Deceter, that second link you posted for the resin addons is for 1/78 scale not the 1/48 I posted a link to.

The kit will end up being the cheap part I bet!

I'm going to need a new airbrush and tools and all the detail kits always add up to beyond the cost of the actual kit usually.

I've flirted with the idea of R/C, it certainly holds some interest with me, just another thing to add to the 'some day' list. I do spend a considerable amount of time on night shift watching youtube clips of some of the R/C airshows etc.

AEF Member
    Alrite, so I couldnt resist it anymore and bought the Italeri A-10C 1/48. Only issue is, that I have credit with Mighty Ape and they dont have it in stock, so I wont get it for atleast another 30 days... Unless they get it early from the supplier. I have also ordered the Italeri USAF paint set, but once I have the model I will prob get some spray paint in the light and dark grey. Getting a spray gun is beyond my budget atm, so hand paining it is.

Now, how to spend my 30 days waiting .

Now, how to spend my 30 days waiting .
    Researching how airbrushes are actually pretty cheap! I have a gun and a tin of air, bought it years ago but pretty sure it was only about $30 and it does the job!

Wicked news though! I went to all out model shops here in Tassie but none had it in stock, so I bought a R/C trainer instead!

We all expect pics from you as soon as it's in okay!

AEF Member
    Oh cool! Other modelers! I have found the Hobby Boss A-10's to be easier to build and looks great.

I've got a lot of projects currently on the go. I hope to be entering in the Queensland Model Hobbies Expo next year in a couple of categories.

1/48 Hobby Boss A-10A Desert Storm with lots of aftermarket.
    1/32 Trumpeter VF-2 F-14D Tomcat
    1/48 Hobby Boss VF-1 F-14A Tomcat
    1/12 Tamiya Yamaha Valentino Rossi YZF M-1
    1/48 Tamiya A-1J Skyraider

This is an old video of my modelling table from a few years back HERE.

I use the Harder and Steinbeck airbrushes. I've tried them all and these preform perfectly and are very easy to clean (big factor).

Any questions, just shoot. Been gluing my fingers together for a few years now.

AEF Member
    Deceter;
    Yeah, when I go get some more paints, I will go to a model shop to get them and while I'm there ask them about airbrushes.

Goodluck with the RC trainer. Is that software? Or a basic aircraft? I havn't flown a real one but have dabled with Phoenix RC on my PC to reasonable results.

Crow;
    Holy moly, that is a modelling table alrite. My setup will just be the dining room table . I definately wont be getting anything competition grade. Just something I am happy to have sit on my shelf.

I will definately post photos as I go.

AEF Member
    Have a look at the Flory Models website. Lots of great info for starting out, and a great hobby community too.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

This is an old video of my modelling table from a few years back HERE.
    That is an incredible desk setup Crow and certainly something to aspire to. Same as your Obutto, I love how neat everything is!

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Have a look at the Flory Models website. Lots of great info for starting out, and a great hobby community too.
    Did take a look at Flory Models, must say they look like a really neat operation. Do you subscribe and is it worth it?

AEF Member
    I'm a member. When I was starting out I didn't have anyone to show me the ropes, and model kits are expensive, so I thought it best to listen in to some of these guys. Following along the Video Builds really helped, and Intro Vids and Tutorials pointed me in the right direction.

I bought a Seafire and built it along with his videos. It was heaps fun. It's just as easy to unsubscribe once you feel you have the hang of it. Then just use LSP and ARC forums to ask questions and get ideas.

I don't really do any build threads, I have tried a few times and forget to keep updating the thread. Instead I'm doing a video project for my YouTube channel with each model. That's something for the future.
    Last edited by Crow; 13-09-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Very nice setup Crow

No one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the enemies die for their country.
    Steam:
    anzacchippie

Found this little resource today.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/re...p_oca111.shtml

AEF Member
    That's a good book.

The Modern Hog Guide is the bible for modelers, but it's rarer then hens teeth (and currently goes for $2,904.00 on Amazon see HERE). I got a lucky 2nd hand copy for 60 bucks a year ago. Author Jake Melampy stated on the ARC forums that he will be making a 2nd edition to this with more A-10C pics, but the internet has been waiting a long time for any more info on this. And it appears he might have moved onto other projects. But his Viper and Hornet books are awesome and I advise buying them ASAP before they go the same way as the Warthog book.

Neil Dunridge also has a great book as well with some great images. See HERE. I posted it up HERE on the AEF Forums back in the day. It details the active squadrons using the A-10 in 2012. The photos are great but it's no modeling guide. I ended up emailing him and got access to one of his high res photos which I later made into a giant A-10C Canvas print from Officeworks which sits in my study.

There are some in depth resources online which bypasses the need for reference books, and saves you money to spend instead on more modelling gear. I always like to research other build threads because it highlights the shortcomings of the model and gives you ideas on how to tackle it. But it's quite common that the build tapers off to nothing. Not many models actually see the display cabinet.

ARC Resource Centre - A-10 Walkaround Collection HERE
    Italeri A-10A Model Build (which is exactly the same as the Italeri A-10C as it's not a new tooling) with Aries Aftermarket - HERE
    Hobby Boss A-10C Conversation - HERE

I also have a large folder full of photos collected over the years for my A-10 projects. All of it was sourced from online and can be found with Google-Fu. But if you need anything, let me know.

P.S: IMO One of the greats of Online Modelling is chuck540z3 on Arc Forums. His techniques and research is amazing. I know the 1/32 Trumpeter A-10A isn't what you are doing, but make a coffee and have a read of the 63 page thread from a master builder. HERE

P.P.S: Blue73 ( J. Headlam a fellow Aussie) is also brilliant and has an amazing A-10 build thread on the Flory forums. Here is some finished pics on the ARC Forums HERE
    Last edited by Crow; 15-09-2015 at 09:18 PM.

Crow,

Incredible write up and information. Many many thanks for all this. It will be invaluable in the near future.

I've posted elsewhere on here I think but Warthog News on facebook make regular posts on an almost daily basis with up-to-date pictures of A10 operations. Worth a look if you're not already onto it.

AEF Member
    Good news, my 30 days has turned into 'it should arrive next week'. Mighty Ape got some in already, yay. Now to only hold off cracking it open as I have too much to do next week, stuff that has a deadline.

In the mean time, does anyone have access to the AEF A-10 skins that were made a while back? Would be to cool to paint to that sceme.

In the mean time, does anyone have access to the AEF A-10 skins that were made a while back? Would be to cool to paint to that sceme.
    That's a sweet idea!

Simis
    I have a model kit of an F/A-18 but I'm more into RC flying.

AEF Member
    In the mean time, does anyone have access to the AEF A-10 skins that were made a while back? Would be to cool to paint to that scheme.
    I'm uploading the A-10C skin templates I created (back in 2012) to the AEF 161 Dropbox under 'DCS Skins', although Panthro has the most up-to-date version of them. They're .psd files that can be opened with Photoshop or the GIMP etc. Probably about an hour left to upload them all.

AEF Member
    Sweet, cheers Flatspin. I hope I can do it justice.

Some people may really appreciate the detail, but most don't, I'd submit. Other than modellers, that is.

I thought you all might appreciate this. And I thought I had patience...

Wow.

TassieDevil

AEF Member
    Holy crap, that is intense.

On a side note, I have everything ready for my A-10C build, I just now need to find the time. Might have to wait until after Christmas now.

Wow, don't think it would last in my house.

No one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the enemies die for their country.
    Steam:
    anzacchippie