Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Good point by Zomba re downshifting later, often gets me in trouble. I think I have had too many beverages and the "heel and toe" synapses have bee destroyed.
    I have not changed much to the default setting, except, front ride height ... I increase this so there is more travel when braking. I find the default setting makes it almost impossible to apply any brake without immediately locking up.

The sound of the turbo on the 98t is awesome. Motor sport in the 80s- balls of steel.

Yeah, it truly is Satan's chariot. For the braking I managed to gain a lot by being as fast onto max brake as I could. I think what happens is that it causes the nose to dive aggressively which makes the front wheels plant hard and the wing to deflect down adding more downforce. Once it gets to max dive you pause for a moment and then you ease off again fairly smartly (but not fast) as the traction falls off to prevent locking due to loss of aero and weight. The faster you go the more aggressive you can be as you have more aero downforce to increase traction. So if you were to plot your brake force as a graph, instead of a square wave profile where it's either max brake on or brake off. With the 98T it's a very rapid spike to max followed by a more gentle decrease until release. It took hours of lapping to get the muscle memory in my foot to follow the traction without locking. I honestly don't know how people managed to race these things irl.

Quote Originally Posted by etchasketch View Post
    Hmm. The problem with those fastest times is you can see that they all did around 50+ laps in a session to get a good time, with a lot of invalid laps, and most have turned off fuel. So I wouldn't read too much into them, tbh. 1:52 is fine.
    1:52's is frikken GREAT!... That's why I was showing all the those other times. Now, we've all got our crosshairs on Felix when in a race.. hehe.

BTW guy's...
    I just got off Skype sharescreens with WishMaster, and I can now host a server and join from the same PC that I'm racing on.

As everyones modem/router is different in it's UI panel when port forwarding, it may be tricky to describe how to do it for all, but still, pretty simple to do.

If your interested in doing the same... Get your people to call my people and we'll do lunch.

PS:
    Wish also kindly offered that if we ever get stuck or have any probs. He can set up his (100/40) server the way we want it to run for an organized night if he's not around.

See... Wish's do come true. >_O
    Last edited by Skid; 10-09-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: PS

::_ WEBSITE of the MONTH : _ WWW.DUDEIWANTTHAT.COM_ ::

You must have the crosshairs on your revision mirror if you are tracking me!!
    etchasketch was quick last time we were in AC.
    Do we have details for the great race?
    time/date/server/ts

Quote Originally Posted by Davos View Post
    Steps we need to do to make this work.

1. Get enough interested people (im hoping for at least 6 people)
    2. secure a server (if you have one we can use on a Saturday evening let me know)
    3. Set it all up (Sat 7.30pm AEST - 11/9/15)
    4. Race

..<snip>... so working towards the first race being 19 September.
    I reckon we could start racing THIS Saturday, but,.. the idea for these pre championship test races were to give people up to week to prepare/practice, so to get a feel for the vehicle/s and track that will be announced at the beginning of each week before a race.
    For a few weeks we'll get to feel out what server setups, cars and tracks will be good to use for our first extended (point scoring) "AEF AC Championship".

Mezevenf is giving me access to his server. Number 2 sorted. looks like this is happening.
    So I'd say this Satdy night could be a dry run to iron out and test Step 3. That way we can eliminate any bugs that may arise, on the server side of things.

Davos will probably advise us in here shortly with his outcome on Mez's server he's arranging, and it's format for tomorrow nights "Test for our Test Races"... (if you know waddamean ..lol).

Below is an Example Only..
    (Davos will alter where needed).

When
    : Saturday - 7.30pm AEST - 11/9/15

Server Name
    : AEF Racing Australia ?
    Password
    : TBA in TS3

Track
    : Imola
    Vehicle
    : Lotus 49
    Setup/Assists
    : Car Setup = Default - Auto Clutch - Forced Virtual Mirror - Dash stubbie holder - etc.
    Track Time/Weather:
    1300hrs - Heavy Fog - Amb Temp 16c - etc... (helps to replicate for private practice)
    Practice
    : 60mins
    Qualify
    : 10mins
    Race
    : 40mins - with Mandatory Pitstop

..etc.
    Last edited by Skid; 12-09-2015 at 07:27 AM. Reason: sneezed

Havent heard back from mez yet. Lets go with what you have above. Im keen to learn how to host.

Forced vanity mirror and dash stubbie holder, it is then.

Ok, tonights "test race" will start off something like this...

When: Saturday - 7.30pm AEST - 11/9/15

Server Name
    : AEF_Racing_Australia
    Password

Track
    : Imola
    Vehicle
    : Lotus 49
    Setup/Assists
    : Auto Clutch - Car Setup = Default < Honour system, until can work out how to enforce.
    Track Time/Weather: 1600hrs - Random weather sessions
    Practice: 60mins
    Qualify
    Race
    : 20 laps - 1 Mandatory Pitstop

For tonight only, the actual 20 lap race will stay open for late comers to join.

Last edited by Skid; 12-09-2015 at 04:58 PM. Reason: mind change

Can we test using our own skins?

Can if you know how...
    but it's really not a priority ATM.. We'll bring it up for discussion tonight for future stuff, nps.

Awesome race last night. Highlights included only coming off the track 3 times in a 20 lap race. As the race progressed everyone's lap times came down and it got more competitive.

From what was talked about last night it looks like were going to change the car and track for next week.

Awesome race last night. Highlights included only coming off the track 3 times in a 20 lap race. As the race progressed everyone's lap times came down and it got more competitive.

From what was talked about last night it looks like were going to change the car and track for next week.
    How about Lotus 2 Elevens at Spa, 10 lap race?

Sounds good, im happy to go with the flow

How about Lotus 2 Elevens at Spa, 10 lap race?
    I think we should try a couple of similar performance/class car choices at the next test meet, otherwise we'll be testing cars forever.
    Due to my connection speed, I'm limited 10 car slots only. (ie: if I'm hosting again)

So we're open for suggestions... before posting up the next selection and format up by tonights end.

Sry I missed Saturday evening.
    How about some "tin top" action? For those new to fiddling with the setup they tend to have less bells and whistles, so it may also even the playing field and help when learning about setup.
    A BMW or Abarth might be fun!

This is really bugging me - Whenever I see video of people driving the Lotus 49, they never seem to downshift with any throttle blip. I've been practicing heal-toe braking in the manual cars, and it's really hard to tell if I'm doing it right. Does anyone know of any AC videos of the Lotus 49 with good downshift technique?
    Just found this in my travels, not the 49, but shows some good tap dancing technique.

Skid and I did some testing and the alpha 155 and abarth were really good fun. I wonder if there is a chart with the performance figures of all the cars anywhere?

I don't mind what we do, but would prefer a different track each week, and of course no fog this time.

Lets have a vote so we can get some laps in before hand

Car:
    Alpha 155
    Abarth
    Lotus 211
    Bmw. The 90s boxy one.

Track:
    Spa
    Monza
    The one that begins with V (long version)

I vote Abarth on the v track: no fog.

Enough with the having votes, already ...lol.

We just need suggestions on aprx.4 different cars that match in performance the best each week, then use 2 or 3 of each to make up max 10.
    We'll also try to pick a different track each week that best suits the cars. (tight for small, etc.)

..and yep, that depressing fog can bloodywellbuggerofftoo, now that we've sampled it.

The abarth an the boxy bmw were similarish performance

One of the alphas is similar performance to the abarth.

Here are the cars that are around the same lap time at Spa, ranked from quickest to slowest (but all within 5-6 seconds of each other):

Toyota GT86
    Giulietta QV Laumch Edition 2014
    Giulietta QV
    Lamborghini Muira P400 SV
    Abarth 500 EsseEsse Step1
    Abarth 500 EsseEsse
    Alfa Romeo Mito QV
    Alfa Romeo GTA

The BMW M3 E30 is actually quite a bit quicker, and tends to be in the bottom of the Elises.
    Last edited by etchasketch; 15-09-2015 at 02:44 PM. Reason: after extensive testing, the Alfa Romeo GTA is definitely the slowest

As I haven't had enough spare time to do any serious research on matched performance car selections, this week we'll go with Davos & Etch's suggestions, but with a change of track.
    As we've already sampled Spa, we'll give Mugello a go because it looks to be more fun with the smaller cars on street tyres..

Pre Season - RACE

When
    : Saturday - 7.30pm AEST - 19/9/15

Server Name
    : AEF_Racing_Australia
    Password

Track
    : Mugello
    Vehicle
    : Giulietta QV LE 14 - Lamborghini Muira P400 SV - Alfa Romeo GTA - Abarth 500 EsseEsse Step1
    Setup/Assists
    : Auto Clutch - Car Setup = Open - Tyres = Street/Stock, x250% wear rate
    Track Time/Weather: 10:00hrs - Weather = Random Heavy/Mid Clouds and Clear
    Practice: 60mins
    Qualify
    Race
    : 15 laps - Minimum 1 Mandatory Pitstop

The actual 15 lap race will stay open for late comers to join.

Suggestions are always welcome for any changes to the above format.

Last edited by Skid; 19-09-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: itch

Awesome ill be on tonight for a play if anyone's about.

Skid if your around can you talk me through seting up hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Skid View Post
    .Vehicle: Giulietta QV LE 14 - Lamborghini Muira P400 SV - Alfa Romeo GTA - Abarth 500 EsseEsse Step1
    Let me give an idea of how these cars will stack up:

The Abarth and Giulietta will be pretty evenly matched, and they're both very safe and consistent. Mugello has long sweeping corners and they will understeer a lot. If you want to win, it'll likely be in either of these two.

The Lamborghini should technically be quick, but it's SO fickle. The slightest lapse in concentration will spin it. And the brakes are made of cheese. I suggest lowering the rear toe because there are two corners that just seem to not be compatible with the rear grip, and you spin out too easily.

The Alfa will unfortunately be the slowest car, but it's the most fun. You can actually power slide around the corners once the tires are warm.

The alpa and the lambo are heaps of fun but after a quick test the abarth seems to be the quickest and most stable for me. The lambos 2nd gear is awesome, you were right about the brakes, thay are made of cheese. Every corner feels like a lottery but is pretty rewarding if you can hold it together. It will be interesting to see what cars people go for.

I should be able to make this one, WooHoo!

We are all just Eagles, tied to fridges, full of bad ham - Dylan Moran

Etchasketch pretty much summed up the car selection. With almost no change to the default setup I did some laps with the Abarth and the Giulietta to get a benchmark. The Abarth seems the most competent, while I suspect the Giulietta would be faster if you put some time into the setup. It moves about a lot more than the Abarth. Put a stack of time into the Alpha and the fastest lap was still 1-1.5 sec slower than the circuiting time of the previous two. The Lambo, my favourite, was no better. Felt like driving a HK Holden! The big thing with the last two is that you are always on the edge and a small mistake can easily cost seconds, whereas the first two are more forgiving.