Dave Kaemmer talks Grand Prix Legends and iRacing

Without going and looking him up, I can't believe how young that bloke looks. Given GPL was created almost 20 years ago, this vid completely shatters my vision of what this almost mythical figure of sim racing must have been like when GPL was created. It was great to hear what inspired him to create that most challenging of sims, and I knew it would simply be a matter of time before someone came along and made this golden age of motorsport come to life again, but with the latest technology. The fact that it's him doing it again is somewhat pleasing, but I find myself on the edge of resentment that I won't be able to experience it for myself. Oh how much I'd love to take any of those '67 cars for some laps around any of those tracks, and so many more... but high blood pressure means it ain't gonna happen.

It's a bit of a shame he couldn't give the vaguest of hat tips to the community sharing his vision and passion that made the countless improvements graphically and sonically to be added to his base work... taking it to exceptional levels above what it provided alone. It's all well and good to drool over these modern, hi-def, slow-mo pan shots, allowing the viewer to focus on the superb details offered by the latest sim... but it's arguable that any of that matters when you're flying past at racing speed. Your focus is mostly on other things, and the surroundings, that which lay at the edge of vision, is just a blur. It's probably why you don't see gaming levels of detail in commercial flight sims... it's almost superfluous to the task.

TassieDevil
    Last edited by TassieDevil; 12-12-2015 at 06:35 PM.

Bit of a shame TassieDevil.

Just an idea for you think over. I often see this lad on the Iracing practise sessions. Now he's quick and I mean really quick, but he never races. He smashes the fastest times in almost all sessions I see him in. I asked him once why he never races, and he said it was too much stress. Maybe he is in the same boat as yourself. Just something to think about.

At about 6.50 in the video he talked about a dream he had about the most realistic flight simulator, so it could convince you it was real. I had a similar dream, back 25-30 years ago..... 'a long time ago in a galaxy far far away'.....only seems like yesterday, of course my dream was not about designing it, but using it instead.
    Last edited by Matt; 13-12-2015 at 08:06 AM.