Thread: A review of RF2

A review of RF2

Just picked up rF2 on the Steam sale (SP $19.99). Bought it mainly to see what Empty Box meant when he said some cars on some tracks are first rate in this game.

Only have 3 hours on rf2 to date, so still first impressions (GTX660, i5-3492, W10) and a comparison with AC. Graphics and UI are not its strong point! Despite what some of the fanboys say, graphics do matter! Initially, the racetrack infrastructure (kerbs etc not buildings) look very flat and the track has that blackboard grey look. As a driver you are always scanning forward for turn-in points, the apex of turns, track conditions, rumble strips, etc. After a few hours to adjust (from AC), the graphics are adequate if not great. The UI is sub-standard for a 2016 title – so bad that modders have been motivated to produce a replacement – I’ll have a look at those later.

Physics: To compensate for the very average graphics, most reviewers cite the "physics"/tyre behaviour of the game. For 99% of us, gaming is as close as we are going to get to the tracks and cars in any sim. So our assessment of car behaviour is entirely subjective or, at best, it will be comparative re our experience of other sims (current and older).

FFB: The rf2 FFB guy has done a good job here and has produced an above average feedback experience. I have been lapping with the Skip Barber (AC should have one of these) around Silverstone. Think I am starting to understand the "physics" argument. The FFB when sliding is probably the best I have experienced, so a big tick in that box.

Driving: When I started with AC I would sometimes loose orientation and the same thing has happened with RF2. Not yet tuned to the visual and FFB clues in all situations. I’m sure this will pass with time, as it did with AC.

AI: Like AC, at 100% the AI blow me away using the standard setup. RF2 AI is regarded as one of the best implementations going around, so I'm looking forward to the SP experience.

Weather: Another plus for rf2, looking forward to experiencing the implementation.

Track wear: Supposed to be one of the best around for this.

UI: Not the best!

Content: seems to offer a good combination of cars and tracks.

At US$19.99 it is worth checking out as it does offer a lot of new features over AC.

Might have a look for some UI mods!

Any chance of link to the rF2 steam sale? ..can only see US31.99/84.99 with LTsub.

::_ WEBSITE of the MONTH : _ WWW.DUDEIWANTTHAT.COM_ ::

My receipt was dated 17 Feb - think it was a "Lunar New Year" sale (Feb 8).
    No doubt it will be on sale again.
    Automobilista is about to be released. Looks a lot like RF2.

The first post was my first impression of rF2. Now that I have 10-15 hrs on rF2 I can say that it is almost inevitable that you will rate the graphics poorly if you come from an AC background. However, after about 10-15 hrs your eyes "tune-in" to rF2 and you realise that the graphics are not poor re AC, it is just a different palette and interpretation, and in its own way quite good. Not on a par with AC re details and overall quality, but not as bad as first impression coming from an AC background.

I was interested in the Skip Barber, so fired up the Lime Rock track and cut some laps. Four-wheel drifting in the Skip is fun on stilts! The FFB, sound and visual feedback while driving the Skip, especially when drifting, is better than anything I have experienced in AC. Shame there is not a Skip mod for AC.

Enjoying the experience of the track "rubbering-up".

My biggest gripe ATM is the lack of a manual. If you were new to car sims rF2 would seem almost impenetrable. I downloaded a better looking UI - this area of the game does need some work.

My GTX660 struggles to keep up with rF2 - most notably the mirrors.

Analog Movement

47 products in account
    39 reviews

Not Recommended
    8.0 hrs on record

Posted: 10 January
    Brief Review

Racing is a dynamic sport, and for my money rFactor2 captures this changeable nature better than any simulation on the market. The sensation of its driving is pronounced and tangible

Pros and Cons

Pros

Realistic gameplay
    Excellent handling
    Superb physics
    Extremely mod-friendly
    Dynamic weather
    Real Road (Heats and cools down etc)
    Great content through mods

Cons

No actual gameplay structure
    Still a very much a work-in-progress
    Limited cars and tracks with stock game
    Visual and Mechincal damage

An Ending

It's a shame that my hard-fought victory won't really be celebrated, though, because as much effort as developer ISI has put into the driving, it has thus far neglected just about everything else.

rFactor2 remains far from finished despite development was made public through a screenshot in March 2009. It offically came out first in January 2012 when the beta was realeased. It "went out" of beta in early 2013 yet being 7+ years in development it still feels far from finished. And will it ever be finished I dont think so

Any thoughts on this one? I didnt know how to direct you to it. This is the reason Im not buying into it at the moment, if developers dont finish and polish games. Some say many of the cars feel unfinished, as in their physics are unfinished, as well as missing parts of their interior and such.
    Last edited by Kurbs; 29-02-2016 at 12:12 AM.

Life is not straight forward...so go around

Hi Kurbs,

Generally, I don't buy every game out there. So, AC has been my sole road car fix since it came out in early access. I'm a big fan of the title and I still have faith in the devs going forward. Any viable sim title these days is a "work in progress." The depth of current games far exceeds the generations that came before them. Re Analog Movement cons, you could apply those to most games at the moment, incl AC. iRacing has a (maybe) great multiplayer structure but no SP. rF2 is still in development, only recently releasing build 1052.

I purchased rF2 as an AC fanboi, I was going to judge it harshly vs AC. My two posts cover what I thought were the points of interest. In post #4 you can see that I am "warming" to the title. It has presented another "look and feel" re road car racing and has highlighted some of ACs short comings. Most notably in the FFB (which is where we feel what most critics describe as handling/physics/etc). From my current collection (AC, rF2, iR) I would rate AC last in this category.

Absolutely no doubt that AC has a superior graphical experience to rF2 re detail and overall quality. iRacing is a surprise in this category, it is surprisingly good, I would rate it at par with AC.

AC is the king of the mod community. The RSR Formula 3 mod is an outstanding example and take a look at the Donington v1.13 track - at official track quality. If iRacing has an Achilles heel (other than cost) it is in this category.

In March AC will progress to ver 1.5, ostensibly a graphic update to the older tracks. I am hoping that the patch has some FFB love as well.

I am primarily a Euro-phile re race tracks, no doubt as a result of Australia following the F1 scene and my familiarity with seeing these tracks on TV. rF2 is American centric and this may explain its different colour palette. Never been a fan of American road race tracks, but once again the rF2 experience is changing that perception. Even tracks that I thought looked half-baked, the ones that occupy the inner part of oval tracks and have part of the leg on the oval banking, I'm finding they have a lot to offer. Oval racing is a curiosity and I'm sure it is fun if you get into it but I am yet to go there in rF2.

AC is an old economy product - pay once and you get the whole enchilada. Their only source of follow up income is via the Dream Packs. IRacing is a subscription service and the online service in rFactor2 is subscription. I cannot comment on the rF2 online world but the reports are that it is struggling, particularly in our timezone.

At US$20 I think rF2 is well worth the investment in offering an insight into where AC could do it better and a look at the American take on road racing. But be careful, you might end up saying that you don't care about graphics, it is the driving experience that matters!

PS A demo is available - http://rfactor.net/
    Last edited by Felix_Culpa; 29-02-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: v 1.13

It is driving that matters I agree. I'm enjoying your posts. Probably more tempted by online racing. Bit scared to go iRacing as its old and they might abandon it for a new one soon

Online and single player is what is missing from ac. IRacing is best multiplayer and apparently stock car racing or whatever it is now is best for single player. Maybe ac was a bad buy
    Last edited by Kurbs; 29-02-2016 at 11:18 AM.

A review of RF2

Quote Originally Posted by Kurbs View Post
    It is driving that matters I agree. I'm enjoying your posts. Probably more tempted by online racing. Bit scared to go iRacing as its old and they might abandon it for a new one soon
    They just released iRacing 2.0 about a year ago, it did not cost anyone any more, by paying your subscription you always get the latest version of the software, I do not believe iRacing will ever release a "new" version that is not a evolution of the current sim, they would lose all of their customers.
    They are currently working on upgrading the graphics system to DX11, amongst other things, every 12 weeks you get a new version with either bug fixes, a new car and/or track and/or some nice new features, I have been a member of iRacing for about 3 years and have never had to pay for the upgrades and patches. There is an additional charge for tracks and cars as you all know.

I think it will be a while before iRacing is abandoned as it has a very large subscription base! I just logged on to see if I could find out how many members there are and the site says there are 2919 I racers online! How true that is, I don't know, but every time I go to join a race it is pretty full and it is split up into several races due to numbers!
    Last edited by Goldleader; 29-02-2016 at 02:36 PM.

We are all just Eagles, tied to fridges, full of bad ham - Dylan Moran

Interesting

I certainly would not say AC was a bad buy! It is a great sim, but like all sims, not perfect. ATM I don't think their FFB is top shelf but it is not far away and in many departments of the game package it is in front of the pack. We are so spoilt for choice that we have the luxury of splitting hairs when comparing.

A review of RF2

Double post
    Last edited by Goldleader; 02-03-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurbs View Post
    But could you not also read this is, "Game is not good enough so we have to mod it"???

Don't get me wrong, I like AC, just always a little wary of Statistics, can be made to say what ever you want!

true enough though most of the mods are for content, ie tracks, cars and skins. this is great as you don't need to pay for them. you do need to weed out bad ones but still, mod content is by far alot better than the others.