Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iRacing Newbie

iRacing Newbie

I took the plunge and subscribed to iRacing.

The good: the driving - good graphics and FFB.

The bad: As most of you would know you start as a Rookie with a Safety Rating of 2.5. All sorts of incidents can damage your SR. A lot of fine talk in the "Official Sporting Code" (OSC) about fair play etc, but how do you police these fine statements in the 24/7 world of iRacing? My first official iRacing race featured a field that comprised of about 50% Crash Kiddies - whose sole goal was to wreck any other poor souls SR! Which is a big deal if you want to get out of rookie class. Their behaviour would suggest that this is not policed at all - the behaviour was as bad as any experience we have had at turn 1 of the Public Events. I like the license concept but it presumes all players are acting in good faith. The OSC has a section concerning Protests and the like - but this is a straw-man and the Crash Kiddies know it.

interesting. looking forward to the next post regarding this

Life is not straight forward...so go around

Felix, you have to move away from the rookie licence by driving safely and avoiding the kids. Once you move up the licence you will move away from them. The kids are the playstation mind set.

You can start from the back, let them crash on the first bend, then finish in the top 5, a they all go into the pits. There will always be accidents, it's racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuWMQ-IyPlI

If you want to meet up next weekend for chat, let me know.

Felix , Matt is right, once you get out of the rookie series it is much better, another option is the Time Trials which is basically a 30 mins session where you hot lap as quickly and as cleanly as you can for the required number of incident free laps, this counts towards both your MRP, ttrating and safety rating, your safety rating will not go up as fast, but can be a slow but useful way to get your rating act to 2.5 so you do not go down a class, also once you are above rookie you can never drop back down!

We are all just Eagles, tied to fridges, full of bad ham - Dylan Moran

Hi Matt and GL,

Do you want to get together on your Friday evening Matt? - 10pm your time, 9am AEDST, 8am SQld time

iRacing News

iRacing's latest software update is releasing next week and is all about the cars! We welcome Audi, Mercedes andRenault to our every growing list of premier motorsports manufacturers we have partnered with. Plus we are introducing the all new 2016 Mazda Global MX-5 Cup car.

We will also be rolling out DX11, an upgraded graphics engine, as well as two new, distinct times of day - early morning, and late afternoon.

All of these cars, features and more are scheduled to be released March 8th.
    Last edited by Felix_Culpa; 01-03-2016 at 08:47 AM.

Hi Felix,

I will try and get on line then. Meet in the AEF Racing TS channel. Have your list of questions ready

All welcome to join the conversation.

I will be on the train to work

Hi Guys,

Thanks to Matt for giving me the good oil about everything iRacing. Bit of a grind being in Rookie class. So many guys (kids) think it is playstation time, and if one of them hits you, you lose 4 valuable safety rating points from your allocation of 17 per race. You lose one point for driving off the track and 4 if you crash the car. The goal of Rookie class is to get out of Rookie! But this seems to be lost on many. Anyway, I am the proud owner of a 2.69 rating, up from 2.47 after my disastrous first race. Once you make a SR of 3.0, the race points per race increases considerably, so the haul to D license from there is not so bad.

Matt tells me that iRacing is not as expensive as a first look would suggest, with bonus dollars and other incentives thrown in. But, even so, it is still the most expensive sim racing out there. On the plus side, a strong financial base makes iRacing a strong prospect going forward regarding development and improvements in their offering. Will be interesting to see the DX11 version.

Nice one Felix.

I see you had a couple of nice races there. A plus on the safety rating in both races. I think most people in iRacing should learn to walk before they can run in the Rookie League. The racing will come, as they get more consistent.

See you have your D - Licence now.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    See you have your D - Licence now.
    Nice Work Felix!

You can race the Skippy now

Thanks Guys!

At least I am now one step away from the absolute crazies!
    Thought about the Skip, but decided to go for an intermediate step via the Spec Racer Ford as it is part of the standard buy-in.
    DCLassSRF.jpg

Had a quick drive around the Daytona Road Course and think this will be a fun car.

SCCA Spec Racer Ford

The notion of competing in a class of identical race cars so that driving skill is paramount and the size of one's checkbook doesn't matter is second nature to iRacers - it's a central theme of the iRacing.com community. But the concept, originally borrowed from one-design sailboat racing, is rapidly gaining currency in motorsport with classes ranging from Spec Miata to Star Mazda and even to IndyCar, where every team races the same chassis/engine combination.

The original successful one-design auto racing class, first introduced a quarter-century ago in Sports Car Club of America amateur racing and still going strong today (after a few universally-applied modifications along the way), is Spec Racer Ford. Manufactured and marketed by SCCA Enterprises (a subsidiary of SCCA, Inc.) the Spec Racer Ford is a purpose-built sports/racing car. With more than 850 cars manufactured, it is one of the most prolific dedicated racing cars in the world, and has served as the launching pad for a number of drivers who have gone on to substantial success in motorsport, including racer-turned-broadcaster Dorsey Schroeder.

The car was developed and originally manufactured by Renault/Jeep Sport USA. An initial proof-of-concept was assembled using the longitudinal engine-transmission package from the Renault LeCar, but that vehicle was written off in testing at Road Atlanta and a more practical successor was then developed using the transverse Renault/AMC four-cylinder Encore powertrain. Known as the Sports Renault, that vehicle, which looks virtually identical to today's SRF, made its debut in SCCA club racing in 1984. The car was sold to competitors in kit form, but to facilitate technical support and give buyers a turn-key option, SCCA established a regional network of sales and service dealers, a concept that under the name Customer Service Representatives, remains a key element in the success of the class today.

With AMC sold off to Chrysler and Renault sponsorship withdrawn in 1989 after a fleet of hundreds of cars had been put into service, the class was renamed Spec Racer and the club took over responsibility for manufacturing and supporting the car. Five years later, with the original Renault engines and transmissions growing scarce, SCCA began a program to gradually shift the fleet to a 1.9-liter four-cylinder Ford engine and five-speed transmission, and for several years the club supported two classes racing alongside one another, the original SR and for newly manufactured cars and ones that had been converted, SRF with 105 horsepower (10 more than the Renault) and a top speed of 135 mph. Today only the SRF is raced in SCCA.

My newly acquired iRacing status presents opportunity to participate in another five classes of racing. The Cadillac Cup, Grand Touring Cup and Spec Racer Ford (SRF) cars are part of the buy-in package. The Kia Optima and Skip Barber have to be purchased at $11.95 each. The program for the SRF Season 2 is displayed below. Each season is comprised of 12 events. Three of the 12 tracks (green highlight) are purchased at buy-in and one track is used twice. So to complete the series I need to purchase 8 tracks.

D_Prog.jpg

iRacing has a bulk purchase discount program:
    10% off - three to five pieces of content
    20% off - six or more.

To compete in the SRF series I would have to consider one of the following outlays:

Each track is $14.95, so purchasing the 8 additional tracks at retail would cost US$119.60.
    One purchase of eight tracks (20%) = $95.68.
    Two purchases, 2 * 4 tracks, 10% discount =$107.64

There are 40 road racing tracks in addition to the buy-in tracks.

It is making AC, rF2, etc look cheap by comparison!

The positive is the superior multi-player experience, sound financial basis (so your content will not date/become obsolescent) and the above average game factors (graphics, etc).

PS Matt and GL, is it worth going the SRF route or just go direct to Skip?
    Last edited by Felix_Culpa; 07-03-2016 at 10:02 AM. Reason: 107.64

Quote Originally Posted by Felix_Culpa View Post

PS Matt and GL, is it worth going the SRF route or just go direct to Skip?
    As you mentioned earlier, depends on how much you want to pay, personally I really like the Spec Ford racer, but the Skip community is second to none within iRacing itself, a very large very helpful bunch of people.
    If you spend the $11.95 it will be a long term investment but is up to you.
    With regard to circuits, remember only your best 8 ( I Think) results count towards your championship points, so you do not need to own all of the circuits straight away within the series you can slowly add them if you choose to buy. potentially you could choose your series based on which tracks you personally like to drive and maybe purchase those first if they work within the series you choose!

lastly, you do not need to actually buy any more circuits if you do not want too! but you will not be able to participate every week if you don't!

Skip Barber is always more popular. A great car to race. The participation is higher. Most racers go to Skip and then onto Star Mazda if they like the single seater route. Although I think the Star Mazda will be replaced with the Formula Renault when it is released on Tuesday.

Don't forget that you only need to compete in 8 races out of the 12 in a season to get money back from Iracing.

Empty Box - Spec Racer Ford

After much umming and arr-ing I took the plunge and picked up the Skip Barber and some of the Season 2 tracks. A nice time to do so with the release of iRacing DX11. The iR version of the Skip is much more stable than the rF2, but I am guessing the lesson is going to be how to control yaw! Fortunately I have two Skip Barber experts in Matt and Matt to show me the gentlemanly art of Skip Barber driving. The following is an article from the iR Skip forum re how to drive the Skip. I thought you might find it interesting.

Article Extract follows

First - focus on line
    As a beginner to racing or to the car, the first thing to focus on is your line around the track, and being very accurate with that line. Make sure you are using all the track at corner turn-in, corner apex and corner exit. The demo lap will show just how much road you should aim to be using! You can use the demo to pick out turn-in and apex points (particularly useful where turns are very long and/or unsighted), although you may find you adjust these slightly to suit you as you get up to speed. The demo laps are also extremely useful where there are connected corners - turns that are too close together to drive optimal lines on both the exit from one and the entry to the next. A careful look at the demo lap is a great short-cut to the process of figuring out how much to compromise each turn to achieve a fast lap time. To start with, drive the car slow enough that you can follow the best line reliably every lap.

Second - corner exit speed

In general, the laps shown in these demo laps, use full throttle from the corner apex, right through the corner exit and onto the following straight. That's the fastest way to drive. So once you're following a good line, your second focus should be achieving the best speed possible down each straight by nailing full throttle early enough in each turn. If your line is good, getting good corner exit speed is relatively easy in this low powered car. Drivers at all levels with some practice should be able to get exit speeds very close to the demo laps.

All our demo laps are in iSpeed - and with this fantastic tool it is very easy to compare how your corner exit speed (and thus your speed down each straight) compares to the demo - use the 'speed' trace. If on any given corner your corner exit speed is significantly slower than the demo, first make sure your line really is exactly right, and then make sure you are slow enough going into the corner to get onto full throttle earlier than the demo lap driver does. Even though the 'track map' in iSpeed looks quite basic, it's possible to use it to identify really very small differences in line, if you zoom in.

Third - braking zones
    The demo laps show drivers getting very quickly and accurately onto the brakes. If you want to become a top driver, emulating the demo laps in this area is important to achieve the consistency you need, and also to help shave a few more tenths off your lap times. For most corners you should be able to brake where the demo lap brakes - and again you can use iSpeed to quickly review how your braking is going.

Finally - corner entry speeds
    If you are lapping and racing well, corner exit speeds are excellent and lap times competitive, and your car handling is coming along well - then this is the time to start to turn your focus to your corner entry speed. In this context, I mean the speed of your car between the point you turn-in for a corner and the corner apex, and it is the challenging area where the really top guys differentiate themselves and go REALLY fast. There are lots of different techniques available - varying between drivers and deployed differently on each corner. Our range of demo laps are a great resource for studying the range of techniques that can be used in this car, and for seeing examples of how you can apply these to each corner on each week's track.

To start with, you can use the 'Speed' chart in iSpeed to compare your driving to the demo lap to assess how close your speed is to the demo lap here; this is a guide to how effectively you are using all the available grip. However, in your work to close the gap to the top laps, DON'T attempt to copy the control inputs of the demo laps verbatim. This has been attempted often, but seldom works and typically becomes very frustrating. Instead, you should be looking to understand the principles of what you're trying to achieve, and/or trying to ensure you use ALL the available grip of the tyres ALL the time without any gaps - and using the car controls in your own style to achieve that.

I documented my own approach to achieving top lap times in a set of 'training laps' at Road America - this is recommended reading for anyone starting out in this car. The techniques I describe apply to all regular corners at any track.

General Remarks
    If you are very new to the car, you are going to need patience. The Skippy is a 'school car', purposely sensitive and unstable in order to teach new drivers in the real world what it takes to be competitive at the highest levels. Give yourself time to get used to it, and understand that we all thought it was unpredictable at first.

And remember that even the fastest drivers have taken many months (if not years) to reach their level of skill. It's a very rewarding car to learn, and what you learn here will serve you well in all other cars in the service.
    Last edited by Felix_Culpa; 10-03-2016 at 08:46 AM.

Fortunately I have two Skip Barber experts in Matt and Matt to show me the gentlemanly art of Skip Barber driving.
    I would not say I am an expert, but happy to help wherever I can!

Glad you took the plunge on the Skippy, I think you will enjoy the community as well as the racing!

The Skip is a great car.

A lot of the control of the car is through the throttle.

I'll be around on Saturday night sometime between 08.00-09.00 UTC if anyone wishes to run through Iracing.

Hi Matt and GL,

How was the Formula Renault?

Looking forward to my first season with the Skip Barber. If I reach the hallowed heights of a C Class lic I might get the FR next season.

Wondering if you would be interested in finding a time when we could all get together in a Skip race?
    Races are scheduled for quarter past the hour.
    Suggested times,
    21:15 GMT, AEDT 08:15, AEST 07:15
    09:15 GMT, AEDT 20:15, AEST 19:15
    Of course, we could end up in different splits depending on qualy time and field size!

Hi Felix, I'm busy this Saturday, Sunday is better for me. GL may be around during the week and I believe he is busy his weekend, at some F1 race that is on.

Hey Felix, as Matt said I am not available from Weds through until Next Tuesday so week 1 of this season is pretty much a write off for me. can probably do something next week.

OK, enjoy the F1!

Catch you sometime next week.

Week 13 - New MX5 - Empty Box
    I think the new MX5 is better than the old one.

Last edited by Felix_Culpa; 15-03-2016 at 11:07 AM.

We have spoken about the big downer re iRacing - the cost. Now for something more positive - the ability to race in a field of player operated vehicles any time you like, well just about, the Skip races start at quarter past the hour - every hour.
    This afternoon I had two races on the Canadian Motorsport Park in the Skip Barber with each field comprising 13 drivers. It turns out that I have joined the hallowed ranks of Skip Barber Division 5 - an august body of drivers I am sure. Or is that a bunch of rookies who can identify the front of a car two times out of three! - they do look similar!

My strategy is still to survive and build my safety rating, so caution is the order of the day. In the first race I qualified ninth out of the 13. Suited my general strategy of being out of the start of race carnage. After the initial excitement of the start of the race I settled in ninth or so behind a driver who was about my ability. He was faster on some parts of the track and I was better on others, so we were having a very nice dual, although I thought he was closer to the edge than me. Inevitably it happened, he went sideways right in front of me and despite my best attempt to save my precious Safety Rating points I ended up smacking the wall! 40 secs for the tow truck and a further 20 secs in pitlane, then I resumed. Do the right thing and finish the race, was not all that bad as it resulted in an increase in my SR. Encouragingly, for me at this stage, I was able to circulate in the 1:36 range.

Race 2 - Shock/horror, I qualified second! All these maniacs behind me! Anyway, started well, let the kamikaze drivers past and I settle in fifth. First and second were getting away and then it was our little train. The car in front made a mistake and slid off the track. Then a few laps later another of the front runners did the same, so I found myself in third. The guys in front were about half a second quicker, then a gap of 12 secs to the following pack. There was still ten laps to go of the 16 lap race. So try to circulate in reasonable times. After awhile I found myself circulating in mid 1:34 so I was pretty happy about that. There was a runner from behind, the guy that was in front of me that slid off the track earlier had resumed and was making some cracking times, probably 1:32 - low 33 (my PB is mid 1:33 on this track). As the laps counted down he ate away at the gap. Before the finish line is a three turn complex at the end of a long uphill straight. By the entry to this he had caught me. At the first corner of the complex (I was pretty good through this complex) he was two wide, the short straight and left turn followed, so he had the inside run to the turn. The only way I could maintain position was to make him execute the left turn from a compromised position (ie off-line, left of track), possibly go wide and allow me to go inside of him. Of course, it was all to end in tears! In a trice, so it seemed, our wheels inter-locked in classic open wheel tradition and calamity ensued. Dagnamit! I had not lost one SR point up to that point! And that is my goal ATM, plus get track time with traffic. So, all good fun, if an unhappy ending. Better to finish in one piece than a crashed car is the lesson of the day - again!

Who was at fault? I'll claim he came down on me and I'm sure he will claim the opposite. Given my humble goal at this point and the fact he was faster, I should have let him go. Nothing to be gained from being a little too ambitious at this point. Mea culpa!

iracing1.jpg

It turns out that I have joined the hallowed ranks of Skip Barber Division 5 - an august body of drivers I am sure. Or is that a bunch of rookies who can identify the front of a car two times out of three!
    Div 5 is about middle

Who was at fault? I'll claim he came down on me and I'm sure he will claim the opposite. Given my humble goal at this point and the fact he was faster, I should have let him go. Nothing to be gained from being a little too ambitious at this point. Mea culpa!
    At the end of every race you can view the entire replay of the race from many angles and check who was at fault
    you can also save the replays to watch again once the red mist has evaporated!

Nice racing Felix. The skip is a great car to drive. Have you figured out how to control the direction of the car by using the throttle?

And please get rid of that racing line guide you don't need it. Use markers on the track and off the track for breaking points.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    And please get rid of that racing line guide you don't need it. Use markers on the track and off the track for breaking points.
    I did not even notice that! but yeah, in my humble opinion should only ever be used in practice while you are learning the track and then only for a few laps max, and it is not actually the fastest line, just so you know!

Yeah, I have been using that to learn the track and watch how other drivers deviate (for better and worse) from it.
    The Skip is a good car to learn what can initiate yaw - power off, changing down gears, brush braking, drop in elevation and the like.
    Mosport is a pleasant change after wrestling with Leguna Seca last week.