Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iRacing Newbie

Hi Team,

A little update on my ridiculously expensive iRacing adventure. In the last couple of days I have had a number of Skip Barber and MX5 races in fields ranging up to 18 drivers. I am now getting comfortable with traffic and the general "look and feel" of being an iRacing participant. The Skip Barber series, I participate in, is for drivers with a D Class licence and above. I was a little surprised to see so many drivers with higher licences and these guys tend to dominate the front of the field, although some try the come-back from behind routine after not qualifying. I am pleased to say the majority (all) of drivers in my part of the field take their driving seriously, even if some drive a bit close to the edge of their performance envelope and the inevitable occurs. Had some great action from one race but having issues getting the iR replay file into an editable format.

If it was not for the crazy cost I am sure you all would enjoy the large fields (every hour), excellent car and track models, believable physics and state of the art graphics. Combine all these factors and you have the best, if the most ridiculously expensive, multiplayer racing experience bar none. It is sort of like paying $1100 for a Thrustmaster T500RS with the shifter, or $180 for an add-on wheel! I won't go into the cost of a triple screen setup and all the paraphernalia - who would go there! But, you get where I am coming from, paying all that money for software that will continue to be developed and all it provides is the best multiplayer car racing experience on the planet - crazy! I'm glad my wife does not know how much this is!

I picked up the Formula Renault and the two remaining tracks I need so I can compete in all the races in the current Skip series. There go my savings for the Thrustmaster! The FR is somewhat similar to the Dallara in AC.

Ok, gotta go, it is almost quarter past the hour and I have to go and have another amazing multiplayer race to justify the stupendous price I crazily pay for this game!

Matt and Felix, when is the best time for you guys to have a blast around Lime Rock in the Skippy?

We are all just Eagles, tied to fridges, full of bad ham - Dylan Moran

Had a couple of races at Lime Rock with the Skip. Would you believe I got the black screen bug on both races! No idea why.
    Also had my first race at Zandvoort with the Formula Renault - was not pretty! Might stick with the Skip for awhile.

0800 GMT is Friday 1800 Qld and 1900 ACT. I should be okay for that.

I also try to get on for the 2015 race during the week.

Sounds like you are enjoying Iracing Felix. I see you have a C licence now, nice

Hi Matt,

Yep, reached the high ground of a C Class licence! Like the feel of the FR, but need more time in the car, and Zandvoort is not really its cup of tea (IMHO).
    Starting to feel comfortable in the Skip and the cut and thrust of close class racing (example below). Nice choice of tracks so far in the Skip series, Lime Rock and Mosport seem to suit the car.
    Had a drive of some of the tin tops as well but spending most of my time with the Skip Series at this stage. I have started to tinker in the Skip garage with some improvement on times on track.

Certainly, iRacing has no peer re online racing and sim racing generally. Good fields that are rated/graded, the human factor vs AI, generally good netcode - and a built-in system that boots players whose bandwidth is too low, plus the luxury of having an official race available every hour, plus leagues if you prefer a more personal experience. If sim racing is a hobby vs a game for you, it is well worth giving a try. The difference being you are willing to put in the practice time to be competitive. Appreciate many don't have the time though, and you need that to get value for money.

UK and I Skip Series Round 1

The annoyingly good Formula Renault!

Last edited by Felix_Culpa; 24-03-2016 at 02:54 PM.

We can do a bit of both if you like. A bit of skippy practice and then the Renault.

How is your setup on the skippy?

Hi Matt,

At Lime Rock I think turn one is the most important as far as setup goes. I have lowered the Spring Perch Offset to 2 and the rear ARB to 4. This should give a bit more mechanical grip on the front as well as aiding rotation. The brake bias I have moved forward. The back wheels are fully occupied with traction in turn one so moving the bias forward reduces the additional load introduced by braking. If you do it right you can get a nice drift going.

Have not had a look at the FR garage - need to cut a lot more laps with the standard setup. Do you have a Zandvoort setup for the FR? I was hopelessly slow in my one race attempt.

Yes, I have a setup for Zandvoort. Can do a 1.33 on a good day.

Will have a look at both in a bit, when I wake myself up

By the way, the fast guys in the Skip, make her as stiff as possible, with Spring at -4 and ARB at 8, but you have to smooth.

Nice session Felix

Will be back on Saturday night, if anyone is interested in a IRacing session. 09.00 UTC

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...&p4=152&p5=196

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Nice session Felix

Will be back on Saturday night, if anyone is interested in a IRacing session. 09.00 UTC

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...&p4=152&p5=196
    So sorry I missed it guys, should be about tomorrow night QLD Time.

Felix, see you are getting close to B-Licence, nice

I'd stay at B or a while and work on Race-craft. There is no rush to get to A - Licence yet.

Anyone around on Saturday Night ?
    Exeter (United Kingdom - England) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 09:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
    Brisbane (Australia - Queensland) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 18:00:00 AEST UTC+10 hours
    Sydney (Australia - New South Wales) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 19:00:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
    Adelaide (Australia - South Australia) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 18:30:00 ACDT UTC+10:30 hours
    Perth (Australia - Western Australia) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 16:00:00 AWST UTC+8 hours
    Corresponding UTC (GMT) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 08:00:00

Felix, see you are getting close to B-Licence, nice

I'd stay at B or a while and work on Race-craft. There is no rush to get to A - Licence yet.

Anyone around on Saturday Night ?
    Exeter (United Kingdom - England) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 09:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
    Brisbane (Australia - Queensland) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 18:00:00 AEST UTC+10 hours
    Sydney (Australia - New South Wales) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 19:00:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
    Adelaide (Australia - South Australia) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 18:30:00 ACDT UTC+10:30 hours
    Perth (Australia - Western Australia) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 16:00:00 AWST UTC+8 hours
    Corresponding UTC (GMT) Saturday, 2 April 2016, 08:00:00
    I should be about, and should be in a better frame of mind!

Hi Guys,
    This week the FR goes to Phillip Island - I don't have that track.
    The Skippy is at Brands Hatch, so should be a lot fun.
    I do have some of the other tracks for the standard set of cars if we want to get together (note - only know Mosport and Lime Rock to date).

On Saturday we can meet in TS and go from there.
    Re Season 3: are you interested in doing a series together - FR2.0?

GL, this week I am going to race in the 2015hr and/or 2115hr Skippy events if you want to get together/share setups.

Etch, thought you might like to see the Lotus 79 at Phillip Island
    Last edited by Felix_Culpa; 29-03-2016 at 04:22 PM.

The lotus is a cool car

I'm still enjoying the Renault though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXiw5JVTXao#t=507
    Last edited by Matt; 01-04-2016 at 07:11 AM.

I weakened and purchased Phillip Is, Monza and the Lotus 49!
    I'll practice with the FR at PI - perhaps we can get together for a run there.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix_Culpa View Post
    I weakened and purchased Phillip Is, Monza and the Lotus 49!
    That happens to me all the time!

You have to be stronger, and buy them in groups of Six, and get 20% off, rather than 10%.

Philip Island is a must have.

LOL! Yeah, I have to toughen up, grit my teeth and go for the big 20%! Full spend and damn the icebergs!

Brands Hatch has been a double edged sword for me this week. On the plus side it is a great track for the Skip.
    On the downside, I have been rear ended so many times it is not funny any more! I must admit to contributing once when I went sideways on turn one.
    Rather annoying to see your safety rating plunge when it is not your fault. One race I did not qualify so I could harvest some SR. Was placed second last on the grid of 14 cars.
    Cautious at the start and at turn one the usual carnage, this is good I thought, I've avoided the "win on turn one crowd", of course, the guy who was last on the grid came barrelling over the crest and cleaned me up!

Cut a few laps at Phillip Island with the FR2.0 - nice combination.

One option if you want to start without the first corner carnage, wait until the Grid button changes, I cannot remember what it changes to, but you can start from the pitlane.
    I did that a few times in my first races, it lets you head out and slow down for the first corner with almost no one behind you, and anyone who is is trying to do the same thing.

Pit lane starts are good in the early days. As you move up in Irating the drivers become safer, but they are still racing, and accidents will happen when two drivers are going for the same corner. It can be distracting looking in the mirror and guessing what the driver behind may do.

As I've moved up, I've taken the view, to concentrate on the front view, as it is their problem behind to be careful. It is their responsibility to get past safely.

Pit lane starts are good in the early days. As you move up in Irating the drivers become safer, but they are still racing, and accidents will happen when two drivers are going for the same corner. It can be distracting looking in the mirror and guessing what the driver behind may do.

As I've moved up, I've taken the view, to concentrate on the front view, as it is their problem behind to be careful. It is their responsibility to get past safely.
    Could not agree more!

Thx for that. Finally seem to be getting a bit of traction. Had good races with the Skip and FR this arvo. I'm reasonably quick in the Skip but tend to circulate around 1:30-32 in the FR. Generally, if you can survive the first three laps the field tends to string out and the crashers have crashed by then. Then you get a feel for the drivers around you and give the ragged edge guys a bit more room! All part of racecraft I suppose. Sounds easy but in fields of 20 there is a lot of thinning in the early going. In the FR race of 18 drivers, I put in a slow qualy and was placed 15th. Let those behind me get past at the start and then worked my way back to 8th after avoiding the numerous off-trackers etc. Still getting used to circulating with the FR.