Thread: Automobilista

Automobilista

Only 10 hours left to get Automobilista at 20% off. it is based on the ISI RFactor2 engine and Reiza have done some great work. The FFB is sublime - a real joy to experience.
    The Race Department guys say it has some very nice multiplayer features and they seem very enthusiastic about the title.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	automonilista.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	2959

Don't miss out!

So, I bought Automobilista and wanted to relay my experience with it for a couple of hours.

First off, it immediately reminded me of Race07 and GTR2, and I now realise that's because they all use the same engine (isiMotor). No doubt a lot has changed from 8 years ago.

The interface is still quite clunky, and the widescreen UI setting doesn't quite stretch correctly for a 16:10 screen (probably looks fine in 16:9), but it's useable.
    The controller setup is unfortunately not very smart about all my usb devices, and I ended up having to unplug flight stick and rudder pedals because an axis was always "on" and I couldn't reassign my wheel axis. It's not a big deal, but having to dig around for usb cables (and usually restarting the game or windows) when I want to do some flying is a pain.
    I was worried that trackir wasn't working, but fortunately it does, but just had a large centre deadzone. I can fix that with profiles, but there's no options in game other than a head movement % slider.
    The wheel degree setting in game actually works on a driver level for once, so it's really easy to change when you need fast steering.

I spent most of my driving time in the Super Trucks and they are a lot of fun. The way the truck rolls in the corners just adds another thing to perfect. I found it too easy to lose the backend on what should have been smooth corners, which makes me think the tracks are probably hand crafted. The jumps are okay, but I wish there was more of a dirt course available (I didn't look too hard). It was funny to get a random mix of AI cars on the super truck track and watch F1 cars and karts doing jumps.
    The damage model isn't too bad. A good smack into the wall will likely break something, or even lose the wheel. I had some interesting damage on a wheel where the brake seemed to be partially locked on. You can request a pitstop and setup while out on the track, and during the race the pit stop speed limit is harshly enforced. The AI isn't too aware of you and will ram you if you're slow, but that's par for the course in racing games.

I played around with the karts for a little bit and they're probably quite fun in multiplayer, but I wasn't having fun trying to hotlap them with their twitchy backend and fast steering.

I'm not going to give up Assetto Corsa for this game, since I don't feel the physics are quite there yet, and it's in no way as good looking as AC can be. But it has more "things to do" than AC. It's one of those frustrating things where you wish you could rip the good things out of games and combine them together. I managed to find a lot of bugs in my short time.

If anyone would like to try out multiplayer sometime, I'm keen (not available this weekend tho). Currently you can't join a server via the game, you need to connect via the Steam Servers (filter on Automobilista).

No doubt the game will come down in price again, and I don't regret paying $50 for what I'm considering a refreshed Race0716.

Excellent! Check the Formula Brasil, the model seems to suit the game, as does the flat6 mod - excellent, no horrendous oversteer like the RUF!
    Have not played with the trucks and miscellany, primarily the open wheelers and tin tops. I enjoy these more than AC. The graphics are a different technology and palette from the AC experience, not better, but once you accept the difference they are quite good.

Nice observation re GTR2 and RACE 07 by simbin, they were built using ISI motor (not sure which version, 1.0 or 2.0?)

Automo is built on ISI motor 2.5 - the current rF2 build.

Edit: correction - Automo built on ISI motor 2.0. The rF2 build is 2.5.
    Last edited by Felix_Culpa; 12-03-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Automo news on RD - http://www.racedepartment.com/thread...er-cup.119226/

extract

Features:

• Web-based Multiplayer Lobby: In addition to the current Matchmaker from the Steam client, users will be able to view & join multiplayer sessions from this Reiza web portal (without necessarily launching the game first). This lobby will eventually be accessible from in-game too.
    • Official rooms for public multiplayer races, featuring a constantly rotating schedule of official content;
    • Leaderboards linked to in-game Time Trial Mode: Set your time in Time Trial and it will immediately sync with the leaderboard for that car/track combo under your Steam name (and update whenever you manage to improve your best time);
    • League-Finder : A system for leagues to register their championships in order for potential participants to locate them based on the desired series and schedule
    • Official seasonal competitions tied to the real racing series we represent, presenting some special prizes and opportunities to bridge the gap from virtual to real racing.
    • Driver animations - Integration of this often requested feature is being worked as an option along with a brand new driver model.
    • DynHUD: Further development along with a few alternative layouts + automatic TV overlays for trackside cameras, & developments to the editor to facilitate user customization.
    • Drivetrain modelling / damage: New developments to simulate sequential gearshift mechanisms, plus new electronic features such as downshift protection, antistall; Gears & gearbox will also have a damage model leading to failure if consistently misused or abused;
    • Dynamic track progression: Will become cumulative during the race weekend (with some deterioration in between sessions);
    • Turbo modelling, boost / push-to-pass & energy recovery systems will be developed for the cars that feature them;
    • Air density model affecting engine, tire & aerodynamic properties depending on track altitude;
    • Multiple race heats, including options for adjustable reverse grids;
    • Improved corner-cutting detection rules

Content:

• Copa Montana - Pickup Truck series supporting Stock Car V8's 2010-2013
    • Boxer Cup - Fictional car based on the glorious Porsche Carrera Cup
    • Virginia International Raceway - US Racetrack
    • Speedland - (indoor & outdoor kart track in Brazil)
    • Mendig Airfield Gymkhana - German semi fictional Gymkhana map
    • Formula Vintage - new GP series based in a late 60s F1 car to complete our GP heritage line up, covering 6 decades of the sport.
    • Ibarra - Picturesque old-style Ecuadorian track set in between a beautiful mountainous scenery and the lake Yawarkucha.

Post-release development extras

• Custom Championship tool - a tool for players to create championships featuring their own mix of rules, cars and track line-up;
    • Point-to-point support - for Rally / Hillclimb type events;
    • Mid-race Saving Option - Offering the chance to save and resume races in single player mode

I hope they allow you to see what other people are racing before joining a multiplayer server and choosing your own car.

Have AMS and need more F3 action?
    RD have an event open to non-members (freemium) on Sun 27 Mar.
    http://www.racedepartment.com/thread.../#post-2208528

Some excitement around the Red Pack for AC.
    However, AMS (Automobilista) have just released an update primarily aimed at FFB. I thought AMS was superior in this regard prior to the update. Now it is like - WOW! The new benchmark by a long way - on my system anyway, appreciate different setups can give different results.
    After playing AMS I thought I would try iRacing as a comparison. In all honesty, it felt dead compared to AMS - it prompted me to up the FFB rate!
    IRacing is still superior in eye candy - more 3d objects than other titles.
    If you have a few bucks to spare, do yourself a favour and pick up AMS - it is well worth it for the FFB experience alone, IMHO!

If anyone is looking to race with some great people, be on the lookout for a server named "sprinty" or "waynesworld" Im usually in there if they guys are in. there are a few of us so anywhere from 5-12 could be on at any given time. No set times or anything just whenever. you could see jackson or buck in there as well.

Life is not straight forward...so go around

Hi Guys,

Normally would not mention another event on a Saturday evening, but as this weekend is not a championship round, and some of you prefer Enduro style races, thought I would mention the following for AMS owners.

Race Dept (AUS) is conducting a Multiclass Enduro, Track: Road America. Cars: Porsche and MetalMoro Race: 90 mins
    http://www.racedepartment.com/thread...t-2016.124790/

Video of the Euro round
    https://www.twitch.tv/racedepartment/v/81951123

https://www.twitch.tv/racedepartment/v/81951123

FYI

PS You should be able to get a Freemium spot if the Premium spots are not filled.
    Last edited by Felix_Culpa; 09-08-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurbs View Post
    If anyone is looking to race with some great people, be on the lookout for a server named "sprinty" or "waynesworld" Im usually in there if they guys are in. there are a few of us so anywhere from 5-12 could be on at any given time. No set times or anything just whenever. you could see jackson or buck in there as well.
    I'm really confused. These servers are running tracks I can't find.

If you join up with us one night we can give you links to tracks that have been adjusted to work on Auto. They have either come from stock car or somewhere else. Comming from stock car they need 2 lines to be changed to work. The mates I race with have adjusted already and share through a link in TS. We race nearly every night. At least 8 of us most nights.

Sent from my Samsung Note2 on tapatalk about x klms from my pc

Hi Guys,

Kurbs, do your guys only drive the Oz V8?

Etch, on the RD AMS link to the race mentioned there is a download link for the week's track. Road America is a great track. Worth downloading to have a look. Just updated today.

The top guys are doing 2:02 at RA with the MMoro. I'm ticking into 2:05's but regular 2:06.

Formula vintage is excellent - beta release. Public release this month I think.

Mostly. Sometimes other stuff if someone asks

Sent from my Samsung Note2 on tapatalk about x klms from my pc

AMS 1.1 released
    http://forum.reizastudios.com/thread...08/#post-11782

Great to hear many of you have AMS. Although based on rFactor1 the Reiza team have taken the ISI engine to another level.
    Non iRacing owners may not have had the opportunity to drive with a "spotter". Similar to the "radar" app available for some sims, except the spotter provides useful audio information about nearby cars, your lap times, fuel etc.
    AMS is incorporating an improved version of "Crew Chief" into their official build. Development is well on the way and may release in the next month. Plus the Brit pack is on the way.

Recommend non-owners put it on their wish list - well worth considering.

If you have not had a drive around Mendig Flugplatz Bergschleife check it out with the Formula Vee or Mini!
    Last edited by Felix_Culpa; 06-09-2016 at 11:45 AM.