Thread: PC or AC

Broken Hill, The middle of nowhere (It's the safest part of nowhere)

PC or AC

Let's open a can of worms... Project Cars or Assetto Corsa, or something else?

Both have pros like the graphics of project cars and from what I hear everything else from AC.
    But when it comes down to it if you could only choose one, which would it be? or maybe something else?

The racing twitch is slowly having a resurgence that built itself from Gran Turismo and Forza (1st editions!), I dabble in Dirt however don't like a subscription based game or one that likes to gouge you out on DLC... how about you just patch the game like it should have been to start with and I'll support your studio to start with!

If it could be driven with the A-10C thrustmaster warthog that's a bonus, in my books however failing that I do run a trusty 360 controller and have a G27 wheel but couldn't find the cyclic or collective... I think its factory damaged! :P Generally I don't use the wheel with my desk as it's a light glass desk and the monitors don't have stiff suspension and move around the track abit... for a firm wheel I have to move the PC onto the dining table which is sold wood... that said the typhoon isn't generally welcome in an open plan share house, which is something I don't generally notice with headphones!

So thoughts on the current racing sim games and what you like about your preference?
    Then to buy one not on sale or wait for one... all things on steam have a sale price!

'Staff'
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic...
    • 'All right, They're on our Eph, They're on our Ight, They're in front of us, They're behind us... They Can't get away this time!' Lt. Gen. Lewis B.

Hi Staff,
    Don't have Project Cars but have AC, Automobilista, rF2 and iRacing. Given that the AEF RT main game atm is AC hard to go past recommending that, plus it is the mod king as far as quality free content goes. iR is great re playing against other players on a daily basis - but is the most expensive. A lot to be said for Automo and rF2. It really comes down to who you want to play the game with - against the AI: any of the games mentioned except iR. With the AEFRT - AC.

The G27 is fine and is the workhorse of sim racing. Buck plays with a joystick and does an amazing job! ... but for the average bear a steering wheel is a must.

Check the reviews of the games mentioned - all have pluses and minuses.

PC and AC don't compare. One is trying to be hard core sim (AC) and the other is trying to be a bit more forgiving to appeal to the masses. AC is comparable to iRacing R factor an automobilista. They are apples the other is a milkshake

I got spun

Life is not straight forward...so go around

I'd say PC is geared towards the Xbox/Playstation world.

AC and Iracing is geared towards the simulator world.

I have all three. I use Iracing the most, AC sometimes and PC never.

Over 3 yrs iRacing will cost about 300-500 because your gonna want some content and a yr membership every year. AC will set you back 60 I believe and you get a whole pile of endless content for free from modders. R FACTOR will cost probably 50, with a life time membership, some extra free content from modders

I got spun

Sell it Kurb, sell it.

Have you tried Iracing ?

Do you have to pay extra for any other modules on AC ?

Haven't tried. I believe it's good but not 100 bucks better.

On sale you can get all modules (Dream Packs) under what I said. But you also get 100 gig (&#128539 of other quality mods. The game is still developing at a much faster rate than the others and thats something that should always be considered whilst driving the game. I have about 10gig of extra free content at the mo'.

I believe on sale I will get rfactor2 its a more refined sim than ac.
    But as far as pretty games like pc and ac. AC is the choice for me
    Last edited by Kurbs; 15-04-2016 at 11:15 AM.

By the sounds of it its AC, but I'll waitout for a sale, its been about 2 months since it was last on sale so it shouldn't be long!

Cheers 'Staff'
    • 'All right, They're on our Eph, They're on our Ight, They're in front of us, They're behind us... They Can't get away this time!' Lt. Gen. Lewis B.

You guys need to have a true and valued look at all of these sims, to make a fair judgement.

It only costs $6 to get Iracing, and for that you get packed grids every hour.

That's a worm with the big hook. True look? Just read what each one simulates. Decide what is it worth. Remember that ac is constantly adding more features. Do you need packed grids. Im happy with AEF league races and practice races. Racing with friends. IRacing is like Facebook. Lots of peps that don't give two fords about what your doing. I wouldn't pay 100 bucks for that. Have a look at dirt. There is a world ladder but it's a little more interesting racing amongst aef members. That why we have leagues, it's better.

I understand that people who have spent ford loads of bucks want to protect their investments and will defend their decision for spending the big bucks. I'm a family man with little spending money and a need for gaming. I've got to measure carefully. I don't want to spend 6 bucks on a tiny bit of content then be asked to spend much more on more when I can spend little more and have buckets full of content to play with

I got spun

It really surprises me, when people complain about software costs as it is so little compared to the Hardware costs.

Considering it takes many hours for programmers to come up with improved content.

Did I mention Iracing is improving all the time. Normally every 12 weeks - 4 new cars, more effects, weather improvements, track condition improvements, circuit improvements, Tyre model improvements, etc, etc for the last update.

But apples for apples, the only way to compare, is to have an open mind and try each one.

True enough. And it's what ever you like and what feels real to you personally? If you like nfs as a racer and then there is that option also. Games really need to offer quality demo's.

I got spun

Interesting discussion. My two cents on the game comparison aspect, AC is a great looking sim, and on par with iRacing in that regard. If AC had Automobilista FFB it could be the edge that would put it on top of the (current) pile. Having said that, there are some cars that work really well in AC currently - eg the RRS F3/Dallara. The F3 in iR (Formula Renault 2.0) is very nice in all aspects, as is the Skip Barber. The tracks in iR are also very good.

Before going too much further, we all have to acknowledge that there are a number of variables which make every player's experience different, ie PC hardware, gaming peripherals - wheel and pedals. So it is always going to be a personal experience.

If you are new/returning to Car Sims, you cannot go too far wrong with Automo, AC or rFactor2. For SP, I would lean to Automo and rF2. For MP I think any would fill your boots admirably, but if you are an AEF guy, why not AC?

For the car sim nutcase/fanatic/invested in good gear guy, you have to try iRacing. It is top of the MP pile, is not going to date (financially stable future - unlike the other titles, ie at some stage AC/rF2 etc development will be financially unviable) and is no more expensive than your hardware.

Appreciate the point of racing with friends, has a social aspect to it. iRacing has strength of field (SOF) events where drivers agree to meet at predetermined times, and these races are often part of a league. If you use the iR comms, you soon get to know the regulars and they get to know you - so in effect it becomes a social event. If you want to make iR a social event it can be done. The other advantage of iR is that you get the opportunity to race against players of similar levels due to the iRating. I could go on, but I think you get my drift.

If you have the ongoing interest to invest in good hardware for your car racing sim fix, you need to put a few sheckles aside for a taste of iR!

Forgot to mention, I was in a Iracing Renault practice the other day and Rubens Barrichello was in there as well.

Recently got into sim racing, I use to play gt2 and toca2 many moons ago. Ive only play asseto corsa and dirt rally on a g27. Asseto corsa ticked all the boxes and more for me, realism, low cost, multiplayer, heaps of content and just plain fun. Dirt rally is also a little gem. Completely different game than the others but really satisfying, I know I'm going to back to it again and again.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

So a can of worms it sure was. Hope you enjoyed it staff.
    I also hope that no-one takes it to heart if someone disagrees with your point of view. we are here for racing fun as a league.
    Last edited by Kurbs; 17-04-2016 at 02:26 AM.

Don't forget Raceroom Racing Experience from Sector3 (used to be SimBin)
    Is equal to AC, rFactor etc for Physics, looks as good if not better than PC, works on a similar model to iRacing, base game with several cars and a couple of tracks is free, then you pay for each circuit and car, not moddable, but is a superb game, feels great, looks great and like iRacing there are a few real world drivers that are regularly seen in the Multiplayer. it is still in development (Like all of them) but is improving constantly and is pretty amazing already. as it is free to try, definately worth a look.

We are all just Eagles, tied to fridges, full of bad ham - Dylan Moran

4 Of The Most Hardcore Racing Simulators You Can Play On PC Right Now

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-of-th...-pc-right-now/

I picked up Project Cars along with a few others such as grid 2 reloaded and autosports off Humble Bundle yesterday and so far just in SP and with an xbox controller it (PC) seems to be a solid game if you can deal with the cheating AI (Yes I'm lapping your go kart get out of the way... received a heavy nudge from P12 whilst in the lead giving the lead away on recovering of a championship...)
    The graphics are really nice although I couldn't see how 200fps odd was helping my 60hz screens...
    I can see where this is going however my G27 is sitting in the corner with a T150 next to it that I picked up for nothing the other day and the urge to get into some Dirt is increasing; problem is I have a reeaall unsteady glass desk. Enter game stands... I'm probably at the stage where I'd be looking at getting a nice setup for the wheel and perhaps a new wheel for the G27 any recommendations preferable customizable for flight sim gear as well?

My mates got a wicked simpit he built a aircon room off the shed for not one but two simpits with full degrees of movement, which costs about a slab for a weekend run! The problem is he doesn't drink cheap either! And the earthquake in the seats is enough to keep any chiropractor in business!!!

For the meantime I'm waiting for the right special for AC and look forward to getting into that.

'Staff'
    Last edited by Staff; 08-05-2016 at 02:33 PM. Reason: It ain't a spelling Bee

AC and dirt rally is the way to go. AC is a great sim with loads of depth, realism, mods etc. Dirt rally is gripping your steering wheel, shitting your pants and hanging on for deer life, pure fun

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk