Thread: Dirt and VR

Dirt and VR

Just downloaded the latest patch, which has fixed all VR issues.

The developers have done a very god job. Very impressed with the feel of being in the driving seat.

AEF Member
    Yeah, it's certainly one of the more "intense" VR experiences.

I've found some of the seating positions inconsistent but other than that it has been great! I see there are a few angry non-VRers that have had to download the 10 gig update for nothing additional.

Have you got the Oculus now Kaiza?

AEF Member
    Yep.

Are you running head sync'd with horizon or car Matt?

what's the resolution like? I've heard it's not that good, but that report doesn't sound right, considering your enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiza View Post
    Yep.

Are you running head sync'd with horizon or car Matt?
    Say what? Not sure what the difference is. Just jumped on, in car and off I went.

What do you think of DCS in the Rift?

Quote Originally Posted by ColKlink View Post
    what's the resolution like? I've heard it's not that good, but that report doesn't sound right, considering your enjoyment.
    The car cockpit could be better, but the scenery looks great. Feels like I am in the a car. The FOV looks good, although my tiny legs look strange, but all in all it makes you think your arms are moving the steering wheel.
    Last edited by Matt; 13-07-2016 at 03:18 AM.

So, can you read the gauges in the car?

AEF Member
    The difference is that in one setting your head is sync'd (ie follows) with the horizon and the other the car. By default it is set to horizon which is the least vomit inducing, however it means when you go over undulating terrain your view doesn't follow the car, it sticks to the horizon, so if you were going up a hill you would look through the bottom of the car with your head level.

Yep- tried DCS. Still playing about with the settings but tbh it hasn't been one of my favorite experiences so far as the lack of resolution hurts. It is amazing just flying about and admiring the view, but employing weapons and manipulating systems is a bit frustrating at times. I haven't had it for long, so after some tuning and optimisation that may change.

Klink- IMO the res is fine for car racing. You may find yourself squinting when looking into the distance on long straights, however you can drive far more accurately and perception of corner closure is much much better. Yep you can read the gauges, well at least the ones that matter. You may not be able to make out the numbers ore labels on some of the small gauges, but revs and gears etc are all good! I found AC much easier in VR, both in speed/closure perception and reading traction. I couldn't drift to save myself in 2d, but in 3d its very controllable.

I reckon VR is one of those things that is best to try first. Reading through forums, peoples experiences/responses to VR seem to differ markedly and the only way you know how you will respond is to try. It's a hell of a lot of fun though!
    Last edited by Kaiza; 13-07-2016 at 07:28 PM.

With DCS, I messed around with the different graphics settings, and found increasing the options improved it, but this may depend on the different graphics card out there. The developers are still working on it, and it has changed from patch to patch.

With the dials in Dirt, I only tend to be looking at the gear number and rev counter while listening to the engine and co driver, but all seems good to go racing.