Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Now that I'm back, practice for 3/10 at 8:30pm is officially ON.
    Hope to see you guys there.

Name:  Throttle.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  15.4 KB

Thought I'd put this up as it seems to help. The image shows your controller inputs. Bring it up in game by pressing RCTRL+ENTER.

During formation take offs, when lead calls "brakes, 80%" apply full wheel brake. The top of the triangles represents about 80% power. So set your throttle there.

After that, when you hear lead say "brakes, brakes, brakes", on the last "brakes" immediately release brakes and set throttle to the mil power line. (Mil power means max power without burner). This is just slightly above the stick X-axis line.

If you do that, you shouldn't drop back at all as we accelerate down the runway and we can lift off as one tight formation.

This is F15C specific but would probably work for most afterburning jets.
    Last edited by SneakyBastd; 05-10-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Formation practise for tomorrow (10/10) is on. See you there!

Here's the trk file from Monday nights formation practice. Thanks again all.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...mRMT2pXVUZENDg

Thanks Barking

No worries Sneaky, you've taken some great screenshots, looks like I'll be sorted for wallpapers for the next while . I'll try and put together some of the footage recorded over the week when I get a chance. Looking forward to next week. Cheers

Hey guys. I am getting back into DCS and had a look at some of the vids. What nights/times you guys get together and cool if i join?

Hey Mort, we get together on Monday nights for a start at 8:30 UTC+11. There's no requirements when it comes to attendance or ability, the more the merrier. We've been using the F-15 for training with the plan to switch over to the hornet when it comes out (like pretty much every other DCS user). If you have the Eagle great, if not any fast mover will do. It'd be great to have you, hope to see you Monday.

Confirming that practise for Mon 17/10 is ON.

Hello Mort. Like Barking said, everyone is welcome.
    If you can't make it Monday, just sing out if you ever see me online. I'll be happy to fly formation practise with you (or anyone else) any time that I'm on.

Had fun tonight guys. Was good practice and got a lot to improve on. Definately be a regular thing.

Confirming practise for Monday 24/10 is ON. See you at 8:30pm!

Squadron Leader
    @Sneak - came a cross this link... includes some detailed videos...
    --
    You don't need to be a better shot. You just need to shoot more bullets...

Awesome, thanks Zyfr

Ok, so there is some interest in getting a routine figured out now. I agree! We need to come up with a sequence of maneuvres that we are all interested in doing. Thinking it over, perhaps a "simple" routine consisting of just a main formation is best for now. This is for 2 reasons. First, because of numbers a 4 ship is realistic at the moment. If more turn up, the formation simply gets bigger. Second, splitting into elements or a solo will add considerable complexity. Perhaps best to avoid that for now - but it's definitely on the radar.

With that in mind (and to keep it manageable) a routine of up to roughly 10 minutes should be a good starting point. I want it easy enough to remember, and not too hard to fly at first. We can always expand it later. So I'm looking for ideas, such as my mockup as below:

Assume runway H360 (H360 means heading due north). SON/SOFF = smoke on/off. Everything stays west of the strip.

1. Synchronised startup/taxi to runway.
    2. Wedge rollout into immediate diamond, staying low H360.
    3. On gear up, begin 270 degree left turn, H90 (End up perpendicular, heading at strip). Continuously building speed for a half barrel roll, 450kts min.
    4. SON. Begin half barrel roll to the left. When inverted at top of roll/loop should be H360. Then stop the roll and complete the loop, pulling out for low recovery over the strip H180. SOFF.
    4. Immediate 90 right turn, staying low to finish H270. Extend half mile.
    5. 270 left turn to head back up strip on H360.
    6. Low "box" pass: lead upright, slot inverted (over lead if possible), 2&3 knife edge canopies facing lead. H360.(If too hard, replace with a loop H360)
    7. Left 270 turn H90. (Perpendicular, heading at strip)
    8. SON. Star burst. Lead bank 15 right. #2 bank 45 right. #3 bank 15 left. #4 bank 45 left. All pull into loop. SOFF at vertical. H270.
    9. Rejoin. H270.
    10. Left 270 turn, H360 along strip.
    11. Lead and #4 SON. #4 start barrel rolling around formation. SOFF. Rejoin. H360.
    12 Left 180 turn, H180 (downwind). To pattern altitude.
    13. Left 180 turn for H360, slowing to 200kts by final. Close diamond landing.
    --OR--
    14. Left 180 turn for H360. 350kts. Left hand overhead break.

To summarise: takeoff, half barrel, box flyby, star burst, roll around flyby, land.
    Your thoughts and ideas most welcome.

Tacview file, quick and nasty but you get the idea:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3kovqz5fgq....acmi.zip?dl=0
    Sorry, moviemaker is crapping on me when exporting the video :\
    Last edited by SneakyBastd; 25-10-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Oh, one more thing. To keep better tabs on who is able to make each practise session, it has been suggested we use a Whatsapp Group. If you would like to join this group PM me your number or whatever I need to make you a contact, and I'll create a group for us. It will only be used to remind us of practise sessions and organise numbers.

Thanks for that link Zyf, some great info there from the looks of things. Looks like you've been busy Sneaky, looking forward to trying the routine out. Happy to hop on during the week if you'd like an extra plane at any point.
    Here's the trk file from last night, looking forward to some more screenshots if you get the chance.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...Dg0RGZRNldEMUk
    Cheers for the flight gents.
    Last edited by Barking; 25-10-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Here's the image I've been using for reference while reading Sneakys instructions. Hope it helps.

Currently in the process of drawing up the routine using the above image with some basic guestimates of times and distances. Hopefully it might provide useful for learning and debriefing. Should have it uploaded by tonight.

Beautiful Barking! I haven't had time to edit up an image of the routine. I was hoping to have time to fly the routine tonight and make a video of it. If someone can record the track, maybe even fly it with me, that would be super helpful.

I can hop on tonight if you'll be free, hopefully see you in a bit.

Can extend the circles where needed for extra time to form up. If anyone has a better idea, let me know.

Good presentation Sneaky, as you said gentler turns and greater extensions front the field will probably be the simplest way to make the routine easier during practice's while sticking to the same layout. Other thing would be to make sure we have some extra altitude for practicing the barrel roll pass. Was testing it out on single player and found quite challenging especially so close to the ground.

This excites me. I found a 4 part series on youtube following the Blue Angels for a year. Some of the stuff was really freaking cool. Hopefully I can make it more regularly in the future.

Thanks guys. That was my first attempt at the routine, and yeah, lots of areas to improve on. I'll make the flightline stuff bigger and grander, and extend all turns until we get it down nice and tight.

That series Barking mentioned is called "Becoming Blue", and it's a good watch.

This video is also pretty cool. 1:03 is my all time favourite. So graceful. We should put that in later!

Nice video Sneaky, very keen on the roll into break manouvere looks fantastic. Given the Eagle's an energy fighter it doesn't really lend itself to low speed high alpha passes. But should do a great job at big grand manouveres like to loops and performance turns you've already included.

That was Mortified who mentioned the vid, great recommendation thanks Mort, just started watching it now. Its amazing the amount you can pickup from idle comments and watching the way the pilots move and talk during formation.

Practise for Monday 31/10 is ON. I will aim to be there at 8:30, but have to take kids trick or treating. If I'm not there quite on time, start it up and I'll join shortly afterwards.

This session will be mostly about the routine. Flying it from start to finish, seeing what works and what doesn't. Happy to change anything about it to suit.

We will also look at assigning permanent slot positions. If you have a preference you better turn up!

When a slot is assigned it will be mostly yours from now on, except I do want everyone to rotate positions now and then. This makes sense in case we need a backup for any slot, and it gives you a better idea of what is going on seeing it from a different perspective.

See you there.

Sounds good, see you all tomorrow.

Not much of a turnout on Monday, but Zyfr and I had a go at the routine. I'll make improvements based on what we learned asap.

Also, Zyfr has officially bagged #2 slot (leads right wing)! Welcome to the team :>

Practise for Monday 7/11 is ON.
    We will mostly be doing the routine, with some changes to make it a bit easier to form back up after some sections. Will now finish with the burst.
    Hope to see you all there

Practise for Monday 14/11 is ON. See you there.

Here's the Trk files from last night, as I had to do a restart there's two files, most of the interesting stuff happened in the larger of the two files. Good session everyone, looking forward to seeing you all next week.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...lhQUTV6clh0TzQ

Thanks for that! I'll try to get some shots up, but the triple screen surround just won't work for some reason. I'll work on it when I can.