Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCS and VR

AEF Member

DCS and VR

Hi all, since a large portion of us have now adopted the wonderful world of VR and have had sometime now to get comfortable and tweak the experience, I figured it would be time to start sharing those tweaks/hints/setups etc, for what works best for you and will help others have a much better experience. I am willing to keep this first post updated with new info as it comes through so anyone new wont have to troll through the posts to find helpful stuff.

DCS VR SETTINGS
    This will be the first stop for most users when firing up DCS for VR. In it you will find four options.
    - Endable VR: Make sure this is ticked
    - Pixel Deensity: Default is 1. I am running on below min specs for the rift and have left this as I find too much of a frame drop when upping it. Please let me know what works best for you and I will chuck in a number for people to start with.
    - Use mouse: Check this to use the mouse independently from your center of view.
    - Cursor confined to window: Tick this to keep the mouse in the window to avoid unknowingly clicking outside DCS and losing all control. (I also moved my windows bar to the side of my screen, as the DCS window stretches from top to bottom, so if you try to click items at the very bottom of the screen, you end up clicking the windows bar.)

How to start in non VR without unchecking the VR box and restarting the game.
    Copy and paste a new shortcut of DCS and in its properties, change the target to DCS.exe (remove 'updater' from the text) then after the " add a space and the line --force_disable_VR . Running the game from this shortcut will start the game in a regular window. This is very handy for wanting to jump into the UI to change a few options or for those who are working in the mission editor often.

You could also dl and install this DCS manager
    https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053
    This allows you to toggle VR on and off while also managing your DCS installs in an easy to use GUI (located by Psycho)

GRAPHICS/PERFORMANCE
    Graphical setting will vary from machine to machine, find a happy medium for yourself for FPS and looks.
    One setting though I find is very important is Anti Aliasing. If there is anything to make sure you set it is this, I have mine set to 4x without any major FPS loss. Without this, all objects will have very pronounceable jagged lines.

VIVE Asynch Reprojection. (SneakyBastd)
    This is the same idea as the Rift uses, and it is no shit, pure awesome. It is like having a Vive 2.0. Gone are the low frames and judder making things laggy and nausea inducing. You can quickly pan your head around in low framerates and it's just smooth.... man I am so happy.
    To make this work, install the latest nvidia drivers. (AMD support coming "soon"). Right click steamvr in library, choose properties, and enable the beta. Run steamvr, go to settings, and either leave both AR and IR ON as by default, or uncheck IR. The only difference seems to be with both on, FPS can be locked to 30 on the mission server. With IR off I get 45-65fps, but both options are smooth and I can't see much difference.

KNEEBOARD
    Since you cant see your own hand written notes without taking off your headset, the kneeboard is now your most important tool.
    Kneeboard builder is a free and very simple to use tool for creating custom kneeboards for all or each aircraft. http://www.dcskneeboardbuilder.com, tutorial here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luywC5G1c7c.

I have created a couple of custom kneeboard slides for Caucasus and Nevada maps showing all airports and frequencies (In the case of Nevada, also the DME/VORTAC stations. Too many to add to Caucasus). It also has quick guides for mig21 and su25 along with a conversion chart for metric to imperial. Here is a link to my PDF and word document for any modifications you may want https://drive.google.com/folderview?...k0&usp=sharing.
    At the moment I am just using the provided PDF manuals as the rest of my check sheet kneeboard pages (with the unnecessary bits removed), but there are plenty of pre-made ones out there (any links to ones you like I will add in here. I know there is one that most people use, but can't think of the creating user atm).

To allow easier use with the kneeboard, I have also modified the base keyboard commands to use the arrow keys to navigate the kneeboard (much easier than trying to find 'k' or '[' etc). Keys are, Up - glance, Left/Right - change page, RShift Up - Toggle, RShift down - Mark. Take these LUAs https://drive.google.com/folderview?...DA&usp=sharing and put them in Eagle Dynamics/DCS World (of your choice)/Config/Input/Aircrafts. The 'common keyboard binding' has the kneeboard command and the 'base keyboard binding' removes up, down, left, right from default flight controls. It works for most aircraft, but some require a manual change in game. (The config also changes the frustrating restart game from Shift R to Shift Control R to make it a bit harder to press by accident).

You will have to copy over the config file each time DCS updates as the defaults refer back, so make sure to keep a copy to overwrite each time.

VOICE COMMANDS
    With DCS comes fiddling with F keys to get your comms going, and with VR this is even more fiddly and annoying.
    Voice Attack is a great tool to combat this. It is only $10US (you can dl a trial version to make sure you like it first), but $10 for what it can do is well worth it. https://voiceattack.com/purchase.aspx. Tutorial vid, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFwDgJP4PqM. Voice attack takes a little bit to setup but once it is done, you will wonder how you survived without it (yes a bit of an over exaggeration, but it is good).

Here is my voice attack profile https://drive.google.com/folderview?...VU&usp=sharing. It is set for the A-10C radio key binds, and \ for base radio, but beyond that the F system remains the same for all aircraft so it will work with any as long as to push the correct radio bind first. It is set up to listen for the base command and then a following command, (prefix-suffix) eg, "Tower" "Request startup". This will open the ATC menu and request a startup with the closest airfield. If you want to be specific about which tower/JTAC/AWACS/Tanker etc then I added an "open" command which will open the tower etc menu and allow you to call out F commands from there, ("Tower" "Open" "F2" "F1" and so on). It is also set up to receive "Tower 2 (3,4,5 etc)" if you know which order they will be in. Feel free to use and modify as you like. When creating commands you can add as many key words as necesarry, eg for Tower I have it listening for "ATC" and "tower". I also have it listening for phonetic versions of each "aytese" for ATC etc. If you find the commands aren't actioning, take a look at the log window for Voice Attack and see what it thinks you are saying and simply add that to the key words for the chosen command.

There is also VAICOM 2.0 which is used in conjunction with Voice Attack. I have not used it or tested it, but may be worth a look for those interested. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/1523496/. It is free.

GUI
    For those sick of looking at the SU27, you can modify the LAU file to add whatever aircraft you want (multiple if that floats your boat) an in a number of settings. An ED forum on the topic and how to here, https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170379.

Here are some of my own https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EE&usp=sharing. Take them and put them in Eagle Dynamics/DCS World (of your choice)/Scripts/DemoScenes. The one to edit or overwrite, is 'sceneVR'.

Some tips when mucking around with it. Space is set out as (x,y,z), Arguments are aircraft states such as gears down etc, (using model viewer you can figure out what each argument is and modify to suit). Cam scene API is where you stand in the scene. Cam look at point is the point in the scene where you are focused (0,0,0) being the center of the scene. If you want to know how to add multiple items, have a look at page three of the ED post and SkateZilla has a nice creation with multiple F18s on a carrier. There are also a number of linked creation if you troll through the pages for various aircraft. The default scene will revert after each DCS update so keep a copy of your favourite handy to overwrite.

Ok so thats a bit of a wall of text, but hope it helps some, and if you have any other tips, post em below and I will add the "worthy ones" into this main post (with a credit of-course )
    Last edited by Klown; 17-01-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Squadron Leader
    The only other suggestion I would make (Klown's list is excellent) is a clean pair of replacement underpants. You'll need them.

AEF Member
    Added "how to start in non VR" to the list in the first post. Very usefull for mission editors or just going in to modify key binds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    Added "how to start in non VR" to the list in the first post. Very usefull for mission editors or just going in to modify key binds etc.
    Good tip, thanks!

HOLY SHIT. If you have a Vive and an nvidia card you absolutely MUST try Asynch Reprojection. This is the same idea as the Rift uses, and it is no shit, pure awesome.
    It is like having a Vive 2.0. Gone are the low frames and judder making things laggy and nausea inducing. You can quickly pan your head around in low framerates and it's just smooth.... man I am so happy.

This was by far the biggest issue in me recommending VR for others - the performance. Now it's only resolution, which you can deal with!

Sell your kids to get VR now!

To make this work, install the latest nvidia drivers. (AMD support coming "soon"). Right click steamvr in library, choose properties, and enable the beta. Run steamvr, go to settings, and either leave both AR and IR ON as by default, or uncheck IR. The only difference seems to be with both on, FPS can be locked to 30 on the mission server. With IR off I get 45-65fps, but both options are smooth and I can't see much difference.

I am one happy panda.

One day I will get myself VR... One day

I tried DCS at Schmeardo's place on Saturday. Ordered one today (Sunday).

Incredible.

Nice one Deceter. I'm sure you are going to love it
    What did you get? Rift or Vive?

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyBastd View Post
    Nice one Deceter. I'm sure you are going to love it
    What did you get? Rift or Vive?
    Rift.

I did like the look of the Vive for in general use but the Rift seems to win for DCS for me.

It was so good I've actually been dreaming about it ever since!!

Does anyone else have trouble with the mirage in VR? I find it's gauges particularly hard to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerb View Post
    Does anyone else have trouble with the mirage in VR? I find it's gauges particularly hard to read.
    Just had a quick look. Not noticeably any worse than anything else.

I did note when a mate was flying it the other day with the cockpit lights on it did seem to wash it all out a bit.

Yeah I found it pretty hard to read most of the cockpit labels.

I've found that VR Zoom has been a huge help with reading fuzzy figures.

Vive doesn't have a zoom feature yet, but yeah, that would be a great help looking around the cockpit. And for spotting aircraft too I'll bet. It's about the only thing we need added now.

Vive doesn't have a zoom feature yet, but yeah, that would be a great help looking around the cockpit. And for spotting aircraft too I'll bet. It's about the only thing we need added now.
    VR Zoom is in DCS General settings. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerb View Post
    Do you have English cockpit mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Deceter View Post
    VR Zoom is in DCS General settings. Check it out!
    That does nothing for Vive unfortunately.

Here is a workaround for the annoyingly large tooltips. It's a mission server setting for some stupid reason!

"a work around for this issue appears to be deleting the options file from within the miz file, and re-saving the mission (with Tooltips enforced off in the ME)."

That does nothing for Vive unfortunately.
    Oh true!

Well that sucks.

AEF Member
    Does forcing the tooltips off remove them completely? Or does it modify them smaller? Completely off would be a pain as some still need it for unfamiliar aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    Does forcing the tooltips off remove them completely? Or does it modify them smaller? Completely off would be a pain as some still need it for unfamiliar aircraft.
    Don't really know. One way to find out, if some kind soul would modify the server for us...

AEF Member
    Update: Added Asynch reprojection title to original post

Great post - thanks for sharing this info.

Mine is due in a couple weeks. Frothin!

Squadron Leader
    Sweeeeeeet. You'll be landing on tower cranes in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    Great post - thanks for sharing this info.

Mine is due in a couple weeks. Frothin!
    Bet it comes early! Mine did.

Looks like you were right Deceter! My Oculus Rift arrived yesterday and I just took my first Gazelle flight through Hoover dam (as Wedgie and I planned last night).

OMG!!!!!! I did not expect such a profound experience. After a 1 hour flight through the dam and the canyons after it, I landed on a nearby peak and had to turn it off because of how motion sick I felt. LMAO.

Nice one Psycho, no going back now! I found Helis much harder than jets in terms of motion sickness. Pretty impressive that you managed a full hour on the first try. Sure it's been posted before but if you toggle free cam (l.ctrl + f11) you can position the view outside your aircraft and do virtual walks arounds of your ride!

Awesome - will check it out. Thanks mate.

I'm probably not the first to mention it, but Im finding it hard to read the gauges and lettering. I thought it may have been a depth of field issue, because when i move my head closer, they're very sharp. Move my head back and they're blurry again. I have my pixel setting (on the VR menu) set to 2 and everything else in graphics setting turned up to max.

I also installed the Virtual Desktop and noticed it suffers similar issues depending on the size of the desktop. If it's zoomed out, its blurry, zoomed in, good.

Just want to make sure this is normal before i go messing with debug tools. Might go and see if adjusting VR zoom helps too.
    Last edited by Psycho; 17-01-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Squadron Leader
    I think this is fairly normal Psycho. It does take some adjusting to. Some pits are easier than others. The VR zoom option for the Rift in DCS is very useful too.

One other thing to make sure you keep an eye on, is the placement of the Rift on your head/face. Too far up or down, and things get very blurry. I'm sure you've seen it already, but the calibration tool in the Rift software is helpful (the red crosshair thing). I find I need to adjust the FaceBox from time to time.

Another thing, in DCS it's not always the best idea to turn everything up to the Max. Things like FSAA can really mess with the clarity.

I'll be online tonight, might be worth swapping notes on settings, as we both have the same GPU.
    Last edited by wedgie; 17-01-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Some great tips there mate, thank you. Will try to get on around 2000 AEDT and we'll tweak things.

Also (whilst trying to get the 'disable VR' command working - which i still couldn't for some reason) i stumbled across this DCS Updater GUI which allows you to manage multiple installs and turn VR on and off as you wish. Great little tool that Klown might want to add to his top post

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Last edited by Psycho; 17-01-2017 at 05:17 PM.