Thread: Naval Action

Naval Action

Not sure if anyone else in the AEF currently plays or has previously played this game but patch 10 has been release late last month with the asset wipe.

So what is Naval Action?
    TLDR - It is an online open world naval simulation game set during the golden age of sail of the 18th century in the Caribbean with options for both PvE and PvP style play including ship on ship combat, ship on port combat, trading, crafting, and exploring.

Navigation
    The game is set in a breathtakingly large open world based on 18th century historical maps and gives you an opportunity to explore the 18th Century Caribbean. More than 365 historical ports based on their real locations are scattered across the map. The in-game map does not provide player positions, Captains are expected to navigate using the map and protractor coupled with sighting landmarks and following their compass. The developers have truly mastered the feeling of getting lost at sea for the unwary into the game. Weather is a factor and can make travel easier or harder through reduced visibility even allowing sneak attacks on enemy fleets and/or ports. Water depth is an important factor when planning your route as there are large areas available only to the lightest ships, these shallow waters can be a saving grace for smaller ships avoiding heavy frigates or ships of the line as well providing natural chokepoints to ambush unwary traders in their hulking Indiaman. You sail the Bahamasí sand banks in your favourite brig without fear encountering a heavy super frigate. But beware the pirate that might lurk in the shadows for easy prey!

Trade
    The game's economy is still in development but is designed to be player driven, this is both a good and bad point. Prices go up or down based on supply/demand with only trading goods and some resources actually provided by the AI, the rest must be produced by players and supplied to port shops. Ship construction requires a complex but sensible selection of materials. Each port has its own supply and demand patterns providing some basic form of trading opportunities for players however it does require activity within the port to really be felt. All buildable ships in the game can be customized with permanent construction options such as the wood types of planking and trim with pros and cons depending on if you want speed or protection. Upgrades can be crafted/purchased to improve aspects of the ship and can be difficult to acquire. And lastly as you use a ship you will slowly build up experience to unlock "ship knowledge" that allows for minor permanent upgrades without cost as a form of reward for sticking with your chosen ship.

Fight
    Attack any enemy flag you see, help other players, harass enemy shipping, or join fleets to participate in large-scale open world hunting or port battles. Solo game play is possible but can be frustrating at times particularly the missions. Finding a good hunting ground in a fast ship is key for the soloing traders and lone warships that become easy prey. There are more than 1500 NPC vessels cruising the map and up to a maximum 2500 simultaneous players (currently fluctuates between 300-500 on PvP and 100-300 on PvE servers).

Conquer
    When you first start you choose your character's nation by selecting the flag under which you wish to sail. The selection of nations is mostly historically correct based on those that had a presence in the Caribbean of at least one port between 1600 to 1830.

• Britain
    • France
    • Spain
    • United States
    • Denmark
    • Holland
    • Sweden
    • Pirate

While not historically accurate to treat pirates as a nation but as a pirate you are able to attack each other as well as everyone else. At this stage of the game with the lack of diplomacy implemented, all nations are at war with each other permanently with the exception of neutral areas. Every port except for free towns and nation capitals can be captured through port battles. Players can band together to build up a guild and provide direct influence to their nation in the direction of the fight.

PvP vs PvE Servers
    PvP: Set for large-scale conquest with player vs player battles raging everywhere from the lower Antilles to French Louisiana. You are at risk everywhere and can be attacked by all other nations captains. You can capture any ship you want and sail any vessel you like providing you have enough crew to leave port. Crew numbers available to a captain are based on rank, less than maximum crew will lead to substandard performance of a vessel and a more careful approach to crew management during battle will be required.
    PvE: Peaceful server where players fight with NPCs only. There is no port battles (and therefore not port flipping) and the ability to play a mostly peaceful existence.

If anyone is interested in joining me, you will find Captain JJ Wolf of Her Majesty's British Royal Navy on the PvE server drinking, exploring, fighting, trading, and crafting his way through the Caribbean. Fair winds and following seas fellow captains.
    "No Retreat, No Surrender!

"I see my dreams as if I already hold them in my hands.
    I dare to dream big for it is me who creates my world..."

Name:  navalaction_3.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  15954964370_0e16617c41_o.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  97.1 KB

Name:  10255871_332376806920244_2440171505321120954_o.jpg
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  2eKWSox.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  90.4 KB

I heard a rumor that with the the last update all the existing characters were wiped?
    if that's true I will prob make a new char on the same server as you

Sounds an awful like lot Pirates of The Burning Seas, but redone. Loved that game, just downloaded this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    I heard a rumor that with the the last update all the existing characters were wiped?
    ditto
    Last edited by ColKlink; 10-06-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    If you had a character previously - All assets were wiped and char combat/craft xp were stored as redeemables. They also provided forged papers so you could keep your existing player and change nation allegiance.

What server and nation you playing JJ? Do you need to be on the same nation to interact with others, in a friendly manner

I'm mostly on PvE on the Brits

If anyone is looking to link up post your in-game character names so we can add one another. Mine = JJ Wolf

Von Klink, Brit PVE, is mine, just started, so getting the feel of things.

I put 60 hours into the game way back when it was first released on early access. I gave up when I realised the economy mechanics were a hot mess.

Might have to have another look.

JJ, Im in need of a bit of help with the game mechanics. Tried to contact you in game, no reply. so need to tee up up a time to go over a few things please.

I'm online most nights and happy to help anytime.

I did send you a few messages and got one reply, sent you an in-game email so you should see the envelope flashing in the bottom left corner above the chat window, just click on it.

Also, have a good read of here - http://www.navalactionwiki.com/index...itle=Main_Page

It has a vast library of information on the game, sailing, and naval gunnery. The game has an unusual learning curve in that it fluctuates in steepness depending on what rank and ship you sail and what missions or activities you get involved with. Some things will be mastered quickly (Production, Trade, and Trader hunting) while others will take longer (manual sails, de-masting, crafting).