AEF Member

Exclamation PSA: Oculus Rift Sale 400USD

The rift packaged with touch is now available for 400US from the oculus store as well as amazon, best buy etc.

Pretty good deal really, especially considering the amount and quality of the free software that it comes with.

I feel the call of the darkside.......

"161 SQN flys the AEF flag the highest"

Why did you have to post this.........now I have to have another conversation with the minister of Finance!

We are all just Eagles, tied to fridges, full of bad ham - Dylan Moran

OMG, yes I feel your pain Gold.

I only just upgraded to a watercooled 1080 Ti so I think I have three hopes of getting a Rift just yet!

We are all just Eagles, tied to fridges, full of bad ham - Dylan Moran

doesn't matter for me anyway, just did a system check with the rift checker and my RAM and CPU need upgrading. might have considered it.

AEF Member
    I am running a "below spec" cpu on my Rift and have little issues. I say "below spec" because Rift have deemed it so, but checking on the benchmark website, my cpu score is neglegibly lower than the reccomended. Worth a check for your own. Not sure on your RAM though. I was initially running on 8gb DDR3 without issue on standard games, but had to up it to 16 for DCS.

Yep.. It's going to be hard to resist, when VR prices plummet before their new versions come out, but stick to my plan I must.

Waiting mainly for the "Higher Res" (which isn't that far away) and also "W/less" for room scale, etc.

BTW.. Check out the new > VARJO < pages.

::_ WEBSITE of the MONTH : _ WWW.DUDEIWANTTHAT.COM_ ::

AEF Member
    The next gen will see higher res, but I think you may have to wait another gen for wireless.

Looking at this page http://www.varjo.com/press/19062017/ there is a table showing current gen at 1.2 mega pixel and predicted in 5 years by Oculus is 16MP. Pretty impresive jump. Will see how that plays out. And in 5 years I will hopefully be able to swindle another upgrade.
    Last edited by Klown; 14-07-2017 at 09:24 AM.

AEF Member
    Of course the problem with res isnt the displays, they already exist, its the hardware to run them at 90fps. Foveated rendering as fast as human eye movement is needed before res can go much higher. Either that or some miracle hardware that can render 4k+ at high FPS. The hardware requirement for VR is already too high for mainstream PC users.

Oculus has stated CV2 will be at least another 2 years away but of course there will no doubt be other options by then...

I applaud your patience Skid! I think the next gen will be quite a step up.

EDIT: I see that link impies that varjo uses foveated rendering. Seems not to be directed at the consumer market however. Also very weird they are only going for a 100deg FOV.
    Last edited by Kaiza; 14-07-2017 at 10:17 AM.

At E3... Wireless next year? > https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel-htc-vive-wireless

There's also there's a pre-order wireless addon for AU$290 that may interest some.
    These are supposedly starting to be shipped now from "Sum Ting Wong"... More info > http://www.techradar.com/news/htc-op...s-vive-upgrade

Basically I'm waiting for anything that can increase seeing further distance and reading gauges, dials, etc., so I'm keeping an eye on other manufacturers about to step things up as well.
    EG: 2560x1440@90Hz > http://www.pcworld.com/article/31769...up-screen.html

No matter what, the VR tech is certainly entering "The Quickening" stage... that's one thing for sure.
    Last edited by Skid; 14-07-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: ..the usual.

::_ WEBSITE of the MONTH : _ WWW.DUDEIWANTTHAT.COM_ ::

AEF Member
    Sale price is now permanent...

AEF Member
    350 on Amazon for Black Friday