AEF Member

Greetings :), and AC issues

Hi all, firstly I will introduce myself before bringing on my issues . I have been an AEF member for a couple years now attached to the 161 SQN and I have recently and finally, after a very long hiatus and many a flight sim peripherals later, got myself a G920 to replace my G25 which died many a year ago. I have a long history with mostly Gran Turismo, up until my G25 died. When I got my Rift last year I purchased AC to test out but only with a gamepad sadly. Now that I have a wheel I am keen to get some race time in with some of you guys, but sadly atm I don't have any DLC as yet.

Before I look at investing in some DLC though, I need to fix my loading issues. I see AC crashing on startup is an ongoing issue and no Google searches seem to come up with any real answers as mine seems to be a bit unique.

I am able to load the game and start up a session, but as soon as I end that session, return to the main menu and start a second session, the game fails to load and after a lengthy wait, shuts down.

I am on 64bit Win10 running on Steam. I have tried running in 32bit mode, lowering settings, windowed mode, VR and non VR and still get the same result.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so did you fix it or just live with it? If I can't get this to work on a consistent basis then I may never invest any more money into this which is a shame as I wont be able to join in your league.

Is there any error log that I can look through?

Trying to trouble shoot while writing this and just noticed that Steam shits itself and closes, causing AC to stop loading. No idea what is causing this. The fault even happens if I close AC in between the two sessions. It only goes away when Steam is restarted. Its as if steam is retaining something that is causing the fatal error.

Sorry for the wall of text as an intro

Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    Hi all, firstly I will introduce myself before bringing on my issues . I have been an AEF member for a couple years now attached to the 161 SQN and I have recently and finally, after a very long hiatus and many a flight sim peripherals later, got myself a G920 to replace my G25 which died many a year ago. I have a long history with mostly Gran Turismo, up until my G25 died. When I got my Rift last year I purchased AC to test out but only with a gamepad sadly. Now that I have a wheel I am keen to get some race time in with some of you guys, but sadly atm I don't have any DLC as yet.

Before I look at investing in some DLC though, I need to fix my loading issues. I see AC crashing on startup is an ongoing issue and no Google searches seem to come up with any real answers as mine seems to be a bit unique.

I am able to load the game and start up a session, but as soon as I end that session, return to the main menu and start a second session, the game fails to load and after a lengthy wait, shuts down.

I am on 64bit Win10 running on Steam. I have tried running in 32bit mode, lowering settings, windowed mode, VR and non VR and still get the same result.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so did you fix it or just live with it? If I can't get this to work on a consistent basis then I may never invest any more money into this which is a shame as I wont be able to join in your league.

Is there any error log that I can look through?

Trying to trouble shoot while writing this and just noticed that Steam shits itself and closes, causing AC to stop loading. No idea what is causing this. The fault even happens if I close AC in between the two sessions. It only goes away when Steam is restarted. Its as if steam is retaining something that is causing the fatal error.

Sorry for the wall of text as an intro
    Hi,
    That all sounds very interesting and rare. It looks like you may need to fix the steam problem. Also get steam to verify the files of the game. I've never had the problem you are experiencing but from playing Skyrim and all its mods I know to verify files and remove mods.

Hope it works out soon

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Life is not straight forward...so go around

Hi Klown,

Welcome to the wonderful world of AC, I have had similar issues with AC not starting and crashing to desktop when starting a session previously, almost everytime it was related to a mod, so turning them off, if installed, and doing a file validation through Steam, as Kurbs mentioned is usually the first thing to try.

We are all just Eagles, tied to fridges, full of bad ham - Dylan Moran

AEF Member
    Cheers guys. Game is a vanilla install, no mods added, and no previous installs either. Ran the validation through last night also and came back clean.

Might try a complete fresh install of Steam tonight and see if that helps.

The other option is spending my money on iRacing and hope it gets fixed in a later patch.

I can run through a full race weekend, prac, qual and race etc, as long as I dont quit to main menu I am good. As soon as I quit to main, I need to kill Steam and reboot to do another race session. So it wont technically stop me from joining in your race meets I dont believe. Just my lack of DLC atm.

Nah dont. Mine has 1g1one ill too. Ill check it out this arvo. I think its the new dlc that we havent downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurbs View Post
    Nah dont. Mine has 1g1one ill too. Ill check it out this arvo. I think its the new dlc that we havent downloaded.

Gone ill mine has. I cant even load a race

G'day Klown.. Try to isolate/track down the problem by starting with fresh basics.

Example...
    First make sure there's no Windows 10 mods or fancy stuff running.
    Then get Steam to function with another (GFX demanding/similar) type of game.
    Progress up through all vanilla installations of - peripherals, AC game, etc. making sure to test each time that Steam and game opens and runs as it should.
    Continue right up through to the way you want things to run (AC, G920, VR, Headset, etc.)... and let us know when the culprit raises it's ugly head.

Fingers crossed it might not do it again, but at least if it does it will help pinpoint where to start looking for a fix.
    Last edited by Skid; 14-09-2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: ..words

::_ WEBSITE of the MONTH : _ WWW.DUDEIWANTTHAT.COM_ ::

AEF Member
    Windows 10 mods? What sort of mods would be an issue, other than program installs, I dont believe I am running anything out of the ordinary. I have been meaning to reformat my HDD and start again though, might be time for that.

I see AC uses Python for some things, I have installed a number of Python things for XPlane stuff, could be an issue. But I fear there are too many things to go through and without a fresh install of pretty much everything, I dont think I will be able to pinpoint one issue. Could be some rougue program I installed a long time ago, I will keep at it though for a couple more days before taking the drastic measure of a reformat, which wont be a huge issue really as I have separate HDDs for games etc. Will just mean a fresh Windows to work with.

The thing that gets me is that it runs perfectly fine for the first time and the fails for a second. I checked through some steam logs, but it seems to shutdown before it writes anything to the log, very helpfull...
    Last edited by Klown; 14-09-2017 at 02:20 PM.

I once had a prob with AC not being able to run it's "AC ServerManager". Took me ages to find that it was caused by a custom theme for w7 I had running. I now have to switch back to w7 vanilla each time I use it.

Quick seach for something about your prob and noticed people were having issues with G920 and SteamVR running (Steam freezes).. but I reckon you've seen all those (obviously with no help).

Also.. Don't forget to try defragging.

AEF Member
    No, havnt seen specific g920 issues. Will search that when I get a chance. Is there a workaround, or is it just FUBAR atm?

Yep.. Google all your key words related to what's happening with your prob.

I think I searched.. "G920 crashes Steam and assetto corsa".

Here's where they're talking about Steam VR freezing > HERE ..but I haven't had time to look at any others.

AEF Member
    Hmm ok, will try without the wheel plugged in and see how it goes. Im leaning towards just reformatting anyway as its been a very long time and who knows what is hiding in the background.

AEF Member
    So a full reformat and reinstall of windows, fresh install of steam and AC before anything else and still the exact same issue....

The only things unchanged, are the HDD drives that each thing is installed on and obviously my internal hardware. So assuming its one of those two things, then I guess I'm stuffed and just have to hope a new patch will fix the issue. I am not prepared to reformat my gaming drive at this stage, will just put up with the issue.

I found my problem. I needed a driver for my pedals. Game loaded the track properly with out them. Looked at the web page for my pedals and found the drive. All good now. I had a problem a while back where the game never worked if my game pad was plugged in but that seems fine now. I must have fixed that too.

Hey Klown, does AC Run ok and quit to menu without crashing when running without VR but with your G920?

We are all just Eagles, tied to fridges, full of bad ham - Dylan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by Kurbs View Post
    I found my problem. I needed a driver for my pedals. Game loaded the track properly with out them. Looked at the web page for my pedals and found the drive. All good now. I had a problem a while back where the game never worked if my game pad was plugged in but that seems fine now. I must have fixed that too.

Good to hear... See you on the track.

AEF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldleader View Post
    Hey Klown, does AC Run ok and quit to menu without crashing when running without VR but with your G920?
    I have tried with both, one or the other and none. Even without them both installed with the reformat.

Next step would be a complete reformat of my gaming drive and see if that helps, but that will have to wait.

For now I can still race, just have to kill Steam if I want to change car and track etc. Makes playing the career mode a bit tedious, but practicing on one track for hours is no issue, so if I were to get the dlc and join in the league, Id be able to bear with it.

oops... My last post was thinking it was Klown saying all was OK now.

@ Klown... Keep an eye out for us on TS, much easier to ramble things off (brainstorm) with various things to check when VOIP chatting than typing.

Should be a few of us practicing/testing for this Satdy night's c/ship race late tomorrow arvo, if not tonight.

PS:
    I can make a point of meeting you in TS tonight if you like? (in between my own PC re setup probs I'm having) and I'll help get you squared away with some of the c/ship race details & requirements mentioned > HERE
    so a good chance you can join in the race with us Satdy night..... Just let me know a time on TS that suits.
    Last edited by Skid; 15-09-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: PS

AEF Member
    Well, I went through the process of reformatting my games drive. So, clean Windows, clean Steam and AC, and...... still crashing in the exact same manner....

I don't think there is much else I can do at this stage other than just go back to putting up with the strange glitch and wait for the next patch to see if things change.

Oh and stare at the DLC content and my credit card details and try to keep the two apart for now. Do they often discount the DLC during sales? or is it normally only the base game?

Klown.. I'm on TS now.

I don't think waiting for a patch will fix things, because I know others racing AC on win10 with no probs at all.. and hopefully they might be able to help.
    I'm thinking it must be in it's setup or even from one of your peripherals that's giving you the grief.

Re specials: New DLC about to drop this month (next week?), so only buy the bare essentials (of DLC) that you need ATM... just in case. >_O
    Last edited by Skid; 15-09-2017 at 05:45 PM. Reason: ..info

AEF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skid View Post
    Klown.. I'm on TS now.
    Be on in a sec, just need to DL team speak, and put the little one to bed.