+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Guest

161161 SQN Join request - The Lonely Shammy

Hi,

I'm Blake a.k.a The Lonely Shammy (its a World of Warcraft thing, not a misspell of 'chamois') and I'm interested in joining the 161, if you'll have me. I found your group after googling for AU DCS communities. Further digging made me feel that it would be something I want to be involved with.

Until recently I was quite active in Arma3 being a part of the Total Annihilation Gaming community where, as an administrator, I attempted to get a Mil-sim group going with "mixed" success. These days I find myself spending most of my free time in DCS. I have most of the modules, including A-10C and Nevada, but I've been spending most of my time of late in the Mirage. The official reason for that is that I like the way it flies. The real reason is that I keep forgetting the HOTAS controls for the A-10C. I'm not a military man, I'm not a real-life pilot. I'm just a 35-year-old forklift jockey with a wife, 2 kids, a permanent spinal injury, a job that caused said spinal injury, and a real hankering to forget about all of that through the magic of flight simulation. Currently living in Melbourne, though I'm 100% Kiwi, working in warehousing for an electrical supplies company.

Over the years I've accumulated some gear to use with ARMA which, in retrospect, was gross overkill but which redeems itself for DCS: rudder pedals, TrackIR and a TM Warthog HOTAS. My current rig consists of an i5 7600K (running at 4.2GHz) and a GTX1070, so running DCS is generally not a problem, and all this sits atop a cable connection so, in theory, nothing on my side should cause my jet to suddenly appear inside someone elses (unless I put it there by being dumb with the stick). In ARMA I usually record gameplay and post it to YouTube. I won't shamelessly plug that channel by including a link; you can search for it (thelonelyshammy) if you want to see poorly-edited videos with absolutely zero production value.

If I'm honest, the reason I'm interested in joining the 161st is legitimately because your guys appeared first in the google search. However, a quick gander at the threads, recent activity and what-not, it appears that you guys are quite active in what you do and the wider AEF community encompasses ARMA and Elite Dangerous, which are other things I sometimes drop time into. Once I saw all that, I looked no further.

My IT experience wouldn't really benefit AEF too much, unfortunately. I spent 8 years working in tech support for various service desks followed by 5 more as a business analyst/report programmer/database administrator for a large supermarket chain. So unless you haven't tried turning it off and on again or you want to know which 10 products from your Dairy category are most commonly out-of-stock, I probably won't be able to help.

Anyway, look forward to hearing from you. Would love to be your designated missile-magnet some time.

Shammy.

Hi Shammy sorry, I have some how missed your application.

Welcome to our forums, we spend quite a bit of time in NTTR these days and it sounds like you 'll fit right in.
    So jump on the AEF teamspeak and introduce yourself to the boys in the 161 SQN channel and we will get the ball rolling

"161 SQN flys the AEF flag the highest"

Good to have you Shammy welcome to the AEF, if your ever keen on some plane in plane action and your free monday nights we usually hold formation practice sessions. Anyone's welcome and we don't take things to seriously, mainly good practice and a good laugh. Hope to catch you on teamspeak later in the week.

Registered Guest
    Thanks guys. I've jumped on a few times and talked with Mr Ping, Broken and a few others, tried flying a few sorties, tried maintaining formation, etc. Found there is a long, long list of things I need to practise. But, hopefully, in time that will get better.

AEF Member
    Come fly with us on TS! We love new people joining and talkin shit!

Hey Shammy, welcome to the AEF.

2CAV has an organised game of ARMA3 every Friday evening, which is usually part of a longer campaign. Mature, co-operative gameplay is what the AEF is all about, so our ARMA activities aim for discipline without being full mil-sim.

The 54th Tactical Wing operates on Wednesday evenings with Elite Dangerous. I believe there's some social gaming going on at other times as well with AEF members, but regular participation to warrant organised group activities has otherwise been low.

Feel free to join us when you're available, and enjoy yourself with your DCS activities with 161SQN.

TassieDevil
    54TW CO
    Last edited by TassieDevil; 1 Week Ago at 06:26 PM.

Registered Guest
    Thanks Tassie, I'll probably take you up on that from time to time.